Ford Fiesta (X reg) heater

I've got a X reg (2000) Ford Fiesta which has developed a slight problem.

The hot air is no longer hot. I'm guessing either the thermostat or the actual thing that controls the air flow. The engine definitely gets hot and the temp. light isn't coming on.

The dial to change cold/hot doesn't appear to operate a mechanical linkage, so I'm guessing it's some kind of variable resistor (or similar) that may have failed?

Yesterday the air was freezing even after 40 miles, I'm assuming (hoping) that if the thermostat had gone the air would at least be getting slightly warmer than the ambient air temperature?

Thanks,

Reply to
David Taylor

Temperature light??? thats a new one you don't have a temperature gauge on your fiasco? run the engine for a couple of minutes from cold then check the top radiator hose it should be more or less air temperature if its getting warm suspect the thermostat is sticking Derek

Reply to
Derek

These have a water valve on the bulkhead that is a very common failure bit. I have never had to change one personally, but I understand it is quite easy.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

It's an easy thing to change, and is located in the centre off the bulkhead. Just a case off disconnecting the four hoses, unplugging and sliding out the old valve, sliding in the new valve and reconnecting everything. When changing the valve, it's worthwhile flushing out the heater matrix, as they tend to collect any rubbish in the cooling system. Just run a garden hose through the pipes in both directions until the water runs clear.

It's most likely the valve, but it's easy to check. Disconnect the electrical connector, connect a test lamp across the connector, turn the heater control to the centre position, and with the engine idling, the light should flash. If it doesn't flash, then the fault lies in the control somewhere.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

The dial operates like a thermostat on both the Fiesta and the Ka and operates a water valve in the engine compartment near the bulkhead. The dial pulses the water valve on and off to give you varying air temperatures.

The water valve is a known common failure. Check this first.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Have you checked to see if there's actually any water in the engine? Usually this is a sign there isn't.

Reply to
Conor

OK, I'm a moron.

When I got back and looked last night it appeared there was. The top radiator hose was hot (but it is directly above the exhaust manifold) and the expansion tank was pink up to the line...

However now it's cold and I've taken the cap off it appears the expansion bottle was just stained pink and there is indeed no coolant in it. Joy.

Reply to
David Taylor

Ah. Next question is "Where has it gone?" Check the oil too as a low oil level can cause an engine to use water.

Reply to
Conor

Heh, checked the oil (and all other fluids) when I discovered the coolant was low. It's OK (no signs of water in it, either).

The oil seems to be fine (no signs of water in it either).

I've discovered the coolant is leaking from the inlet manifold. For some reason that I can't quite work out, the coolant passes through the inlet manifold on its way to the heater matrix.

I'm going to attempt to replace the gasket over the weekend, with some help. Hopefully the (very) small rubbery bit that is sticking out of the inlet manifold/cylinder head join _is_ a bit of the gasket which has failed, and replacing it will cure the problem...

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Reply to
David Taylor

Its to help cool the air passing through the inlet manifold when its hot to keep the density up. When its very cold, it keeps the air a bit warmer to prevent the fuel vapour icing up.

Reply to
Conor

David Taylor wrote on Fri, 6 May 2005 16:32:01 +0000 (UTC):

It was a bit of the gasket, and thankfully replacing the gasket has stopped the leaking. Yay.

Reply to
David Taylor