Undo Rover 600 caliper bolts

Trying to replace the rear discs on a Rover 600 (they're corroded).

The caliper mounting bracket is fixed to the hub with two 14mm bolts, which are incredibly tight. I've got the top one off (nearside), but there's no room to get a socket on the bottom bolt. I extended a thin ring spanner with a length of pipe to get more leverage but it just bent the spanner and the bolt didn't move.

It's not rusted on, just tight (the thread on the top bolt was bright and shiny, no sign of rust or loctite). Any ideas how to get this undone? I've tried soaking it in WD40 and hitting the end of a spanner with a hammer, with no luck.

Thanks,

Hofman

Reply to
hofman

You might find putting back on the wheel and lowering the car onto the ground gives more clearance for a socket. It does on my E39, but only room for a 3/8" drive one. Although I got mine off with a decent ring spanner - a Halfords Pro combination type. Had to use the above trick for tightening it to the correct torque. Luckily I had a 3/8" drive torque wrench.

IMHO, it shouldn't be possible to bend a decent ring spanner of this size. What make was it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I snapped a 17mm Teng one, once. Didn't harf hurt my knuckles when it went.

Reply to
Guy King

Just with your hands - or using some form of extension?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Just with my bare hands. I'm rather stronger than I look - and I look fairly beefy. Admittedly I had my feet braced on the chassis.

Reply to
Guy King

If I'd been able to do that barehanded I'd have been quite proud of my abilities. I'd have been fecking annoyed at the fact I still had a really tight nut to undo though!

Reply to
Chris Street

Right. I'll stay well clear on a dark night after chucking out time. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

I was too busy hopping around swearing 'cos of the the dinged knuckles

Reply to
Guy King

:-)

Done that, bought the T-shirt as well.

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

It's alright - you won't find me there anyway - I'm not a boozer.

Reply to
Guy King

Snapped a 14mm open-ended B&Q spanner trying to undo a nut on a kids bike :-/

Split a locking wheelnut key trying to remove a wheel shortly after it'd been in for a service!

Reply to
Johnny

It was after I punched the bell housing doing that I gave in & stuck to Britool.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Damn. Another fantasy ruined.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

words:

:-) Now why does that scenario seem all too familiar?

Is there _any_ job on a car that doesn't involve the potential for loss of skin/bits of nails & plenty of pain? Even washing the damned things is fraught with danger...

Reply to
RichardS

The message from "RichardS" contains these words:

Oooh, I washed mine once!

Reply to
Guy King