Ford Fiestsa S reg - Power Steering Mod

Is it feasible to do add power steering to my Fiesta 1.4.

How much would it cost (me doing it or a garage) What would I need

Or do I forget the idea.

Reply to
the pilot

I'm surprised it's not got it already, but the short answer is no.

Probably not all that much, if the parts were aquired from a breakers. You'd need the power steering rack, pipework, pump, pump braket, and any tensioning systems that are different from yours and a belt. Then to install it is an engine out job.

Probably less grief if you sold the car and got one with it.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

No. In addition to the extensive mechanical work needed you would also need to consider that there is a pressure switch involved. This tells the ECU when the power steering pump is under load in order to keep the idle up at low speeds. Even if you could install this electrically, it may be the the software in your ECU won't be programmed for it.

More than selling/buying another car with PAS.

Well I would :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Why bother. the dteering is pretty light on the Fiesta anyway.

Reply to
a.n.other

the pilot ( snipped-for-privacy@agent.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

We've been here before...

Adrian

Dear a.n.other

You still haven't got the hang of this Usenet thing, have you?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put your replies at the END of what others have written.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE reply to the correct post.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE snip anything not needed from the post, leaving just enough context for the post to make sense.

If you are not sure how Usenet works, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Google for something like "How to post in newsgroups".

You have a valuable contribution to make to this (and other) groups. You are clearly *very* knowledgable about cars. I like reading your replies, but you are making it such hard work by not following any Usenet conventions.

Please don't take offence. Exact spelling and grammar are not needed, just follow some basic guidelines there's a good chap!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Was there really such a need for such a long post to tell someone you object to top posting?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

:-)

Tim S Kemp wrote:

Yes.

1: It wasn't just about top-posting, that was one thing of three.

2: I have tried very politely to ask this valuable contributor to post in a way that makes sense several times before. I am not alone in doing so.

3: Eventually someone much ruder than I will wade in and perhaps put him off Usenet. That would be a shame.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I think the short answer is that it would be more cost-effective to buy a model with PS in the first place.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

It's the sort of question that if you have to ask it means you're probably not capable of DIYing it. Which would mean getting all the parts required from a scrappy. Getting a garage to do it with new parts will probably cost more than the car is worth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not familiar with the p/s on the Fiesta, but if it's just a basic system, I'd say it's perfectly feasible. Whether it's worth the labour involved is another question. Some years ago I converted a Rover SD1 2600 from manual to power steering, after I was given the p/s rack, pump, and all the hoses. It took less than an afternoons work to fit all the parts to the car. Worked perfectly. No stalling problems. In fact it behaved in exactly the same way as a later 2600 SD1 I baught with p/s as std.

As was said in another post. If you got the parts cheaply from a breaker, and fitted them yourself, I'd guess it could cost you less than £100. Whether it's worth the labour involved is for you to decide. As for having a garage do it, forget it. It could cost as much as the car is worth. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

You don't want to change the PS rack on a V-8 then - you've got to lift the engine to its limit after disconnecting the mounts and it's still a nightmare. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's quite a fiddle to remove the rack on a 2600. It only comes out on the RH side, and has to be rotated exactly right to avoid fouling the suspension etc. Presumably the sump is a little lower on the V8, but I would imagine that once the engine has been lifted, changing it is much the same. Still, as I'm sure you'd agree, there's nothing particularly difficult about the job. The only thing that might make one think twice about such a mod on any car IMO, is the amount of work involved. A DIY conversion on an older car using s/h parts is not likely to be to be uneconomic, or particularly. expensive, but if a Fiesta engine has to be removed to fit p/s, I'd rather forget it and buy another car.:-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G