ford granada ghia 4x4 manual

hello all

i have my self a 2.9 ghia 4x4 what is a lovely fast car to drive, but! there is a problem..... im not shore if it serious but it is very annoying i might add there is about 4 faults so far and i was hoping if some one may no what is the issue.

1 there is a funny nocking noise from the front steering arm.(left hand side)

2 the steering is really heavy i mean really heavy for somthing with power steering?

3 the front fog lights will not switch on? at all even with the switch on do they have a hidden fuse?

4 the sensor on my raditor level sensor doesn't work so the level light comes on is that an MOT failer?

thanks all

Adam

Reply to
omega7819

In news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, omega7819 wittered on forthwith;

That'll be an anti-roll bar bush probably.

Does it go lighter when the engine is running? If not, the pump is probably shagged.

Probably bulbs gone. Drive through a deepish puddle with the front fogs on and it can be enough to blow the bulbs.

Nope, it's just a dodgy sensor.

Reply to
Pete M

Had a 1989 2.9GHIA and a 1990 V6 Scorpio one of these (all non 4x4) as was a sweetie to drive! I wd agree that PAS pump is 'buggered!!!'

The front fogs on these normally rot away from behind but look presentable from the front - get on floor and lk behind the lights....

The Ghia one was wearing tyres terribly on the inside of both, turned out 2 little bushes on both sides were gone - about 16£ from main Ford dealer to replace (parts only)

Cannot help re rad - sorry.

Funny thing was the Scorpio was meant to be a 70k honest car and lated me about 1500miles b4 autobox went POP on M4 by reading and covered the M4 in smoke and autobox fluid and blew back onto exhausts on hard shoulder and caught fire.....didnt know whether to fan the flames or blow then out.... :-)

Then bought the Ghia - 1 yr older - speedo was reading 235k and didnt work when I test drove it - 10months MOT and the MOT read 235 and the one before that read 234 - which the seller was proud of........low mileage car see......and I paid £300 for it. That car took SOME SERIOUS abuse and refused to die......

Had to drive that for 2 years on teh rev counter alone - I reckon

30mph /1000rpm and it would regularly pull between 3/4k rpm and occasioanlly near 5k rpm up M5 early hours of morning for long periods on end.....

That'll be the M5 in Germany then................

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

On a 4x4 Granada this is more likely a CV joint on it's way out, if so fix it immediately. The anti-roll bar ( compliance ) bushes lead to vague steering but they don't make much noise. I had a 4x4 Granada that had both of these faults at various times.

In fact now I think about it the front fogs didn't work on mine, the coolant sensor was iffy and there was a slow PAS fluid leak. Since these were quite rare cars even when new - is this Granada dark blue J***CYL?

Mike

Reply to
jones_michael_groups

Depends on the knock. If it's a knock that happens when you go over bumps it's probably the arb bush, if it's speed related "knock knock knock knock" then possibly the driveshaft. Then again, I've had plenty of 4x4 Sierras and never managed to kill a cv joint on one.

Reply to
Pete M