VW Polo 1.4CL Cambelt

What's the recommended mileage to change the cambelt on these? A friend's has done 43K and been advised to have it changed. I said I think it should be but what's a reasonable quotation for this work?

Jerry

Reply to
Jeremy Goff

If this is a 16v engine, then change the belt, and tensioners right away. They are well known for failure and throwing the belt.

If its the old 8v then they rarely break /shed belts or do damage if it does happen, and the interval is 48k i believe.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

if it is the 16valve engine, it is multi belt, there is no recommended change, but it should be inspected every 20k with a first insp at 60 k. However, a change at 43k sound like a good plan to me. At a guess there will a hundred labour plus bits, which are about another 100.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful