Fork lift brake cylinder

Hello group.

A bit off topic. The brakes of a forklift are just like the rear shoes and drum of a car. A little bigger but just the same. The brake piston seal at one side of the brake piston has failed so I need to find a replacement. The forklift is quite old so no seal replacement kit is available and the manufacturer wants =A3100 for a replacement unit which is a bit much since all that is wrong is the seal on one side of the brake piston.

Can anyone recommend a company that supplies seals and pistons for brakes?

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Hello group.

A bit off topic. The brakes of a forklift are just like the rear shoes and drum of a car. A little bigger but just the same. The brake piston seal at one side of the brake piston has failed so I need to find a replacement. The forklift is quite old so no seal replacement kit is available and the manufacturer wants £100 for a replacement unit which is a bit much since all that is wrong is the seal on one side of the brake piston.

Can anyone recommend a company that supplies seals and pistons for brakes?

Try the independant forklift maintenance engineers listed in Yellow Pages. They could well have come across the same problem, and know a seal supplier or have an alternative solution. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Or try the local truck brakes spares supplier.

Anybody know a good or even half competent forklift repairman rounf Oxford?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

...says (amongst other bits)...

Forklift trucks (FLTs) feature prominently in workplace accidents. Every=20 year there are about 8000 lift truck accidents resulting in injury, and=20 on average 10 of them are fatal. Even if people are not injured in FLT=20 accidents there could be damage to buildings, storage systems or stock.=20 The main causes of FLT accidents are:-

  • lack of operator training * inadequate premises * poor FLT maintenance

...and mentions in a couple of places about the maintenance and pre- operation testing of the brakes.

To put the price into context, I paid =A3100 to get the drivers' side=20 window winder mech fixed on my Hyundai Accent - it isn't a safety=20 feature liable to kill someone if it fails.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Yeah...the one selling the replacement unit.

It's a forklift. THEY'RE HEAVY. THEY CARRY HEAVY LOADS. A forklift with a pallet on can weigh a couple of tonnes.

DO THE JOB PROPERLY.

Oh, and can you let me know what company this forklift is at so I can make sure I don't deliver there?

-=-=-=-

You appear to fail to understand the rationale behind asking the group rather than bodging it oneself.

Reply to
DervMan

I would have thought it would be a standard wheel cyclinder for a van or large car. Take one to the local motor factors and see if they recognise it.

Reply to
Fred

Brighter than you'll ever be.

We're the poor bastards that are exposed to these.

Reply to
Conor

Quite a few do, especially ones who've worked at builders merchants at some time. I take it you've also seen the trailers with a forklift on the back as well?

It's worth having the licence just for the grief it saves. Today I was waiting 3/4hr for a forklift driver to come to unload two pallets. THere was a couple of forklifts sat there empty.

Reply to
Conor

You've not seen many forklift trucks have you?

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Go on... explain, please...

Reply to
Adrian

Seeing the FLT with 1Ton on a pallet above my head working close to 3tier racking (within 6inches or so) I'd like to be sure the brakes stopped the precisely. Twitting the racking or having something fall off isn't an option.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Ooooh Roald Dahl would be proud of my spell checker...

:-)

Reply to
Tom Burton

ACtually whilst I'll take issue with Conor on being able to fix a forklift truck (the technologys from the ark & they can be a bastard to bleed, but they're still trivial) you really don't want screwd brake balance when you've got a couple of tonnes 16' above your head.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They're tall narrow things that fall over easily.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yup. Some machinery transport lorries with Hiabs occasionally carry forklifts with them as well.

Does that mean you haven't got a licence, or wouldn't they let you borrow one? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Nothing to do with f/l brakes, but some forklifts have totally different controls to those of a car. The one we have at work, has no accelerator or footbrake as such. Just one rocker pedal for forward, reverse, accelerator, and braking. Plus a handbrake. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I haven't got a licence. It's on the list of "Things I need to do" thus ensuring it'll probably never happen.

Reply to
Conor

They tend to drive them like nutters, especially the LPG ones when outside.

Reply to
Conor

I saw the test when our two f/l drivers took it a couple of years ago in our car park.. Took less than 2 hours for the pair of them. Looked quite easy. I reckon any driver with a bit of common sense could pass. A bit of stacking and manouvering, and that was it. I have no idea of the cost however. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ours is an LPG one, and it can really shift. Spoke to the driver today. He reckons that flat out it can do well over 20mph. Not that he does that when loaded, but he certainly belts up and down the road, between our two factories, when empty. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G