Proton cooling system

I picked up a Persona 1.6XLi 1997 P plate with 89,000 on the clock, runs quite smoothly The only concern with it is that about once a week it will lose up to 2 litres of water from the cooling system. There are no obvious signs of leaks from radiator or hoses. The oil seems OK, no sign of mayo in the cam cover. I'm thinking possible head gasket gone. What do the assembled masses think. If it is the head gasket, how much to have replaced? Cheers, Iain

Reply to
swarfmaker

Try a new radiator cap. On my proton at about that mileage a needed a new one. Without a proper seal it boils off the water. You can usually check for this by running the engine and then listening to the radiator cap. The engines are usually bomb proof and of mitsubishi origin.

swarfmaker wrote:

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Same with my wife's last 1.5GLS - sort out the seal on the radiator cap.

Adam

Reply to
Adam H

Thanks for that Adam, and David,. I'll try a new rad cap.

Iain

Reply to
swarfmaker