Forté additives - any opinions?

I've always understood these to be a cut above the usual snake oil. Any opinions, anyone?

In particular, I'm thinking of using their Power Steering Treatment on a 1996 Audi which uses mineral hydraulic oil. Is there likely to be any risk involved?

Reply to
Distel

If its of the "stop leak" variety, and you intend to keep the car for abit then yes. They work by swelling all the seals in the system, even the non leaky ones. After alittle while the seals all-but dissolve / fall to bits and the system will then leak like a sieve.

If its the system conditioner type stuff then it seems to be ok, but why would you want to? Better to drain and flush with proper new fluid if there is no problem.?!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

The standard answer always applies: manufacturers of good quality fluids spend millions on research to provide you with a good quality product. If there was an additive that improved their product they would undoubtedly include it during manufacture. Your comment about snake oil just about sums it up - the motoring world appears to be plagued by snake-oil salesman promising faster acceleration, lower consumption, less engine wear, etc - if only you buy their over-priced fluid/gadget. Don't be taken in!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Here's what it says on the tube: "Use only as directed in all power steering systems. Smooth operation and reduced steering shudder. Retards oxidation and foaming in the fluid. Reduces wear and improves shear stability. Conditions seals to prevent leaks."

I was going to use it because I have a minor leak (which I can live with) and (in a leap of faith) I was hoping this would stop it getting worse, as it surely will if left alone.

Reply to
Distel

The message from Distel contains these words:

Fix the leak. You know it's what you really need to do.

Reply to
Guy King

Exactly. The Forte' stuff is without doubt the best quality snake oil. However, the *only* stuff I'm happy to sell at work is their injector cleaner, as it actually does do a very good job on clogged fuel systems.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Yes, but the only known "fix" is a steering rack replacement = £500.

Reply to
Distel