Brake light indicator

I'm having a problem with my brake indicator on the dash, staying on sometimes and other times it goes out once the car is started. I have checked the hand brake switch -- when it released completely the brake indicator still stays on sporadically? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
MrD

OK, so you're not driving a Ferarri.........but which model and what year.... Assuming you are talking about a 5000 or 100/200 - sounds like you have issues with the brake pressure accumulator, or fluid levels in the power steering reservoir or the brake fluid reservoir. Check the fluids first (use the right ones if they need a top up - the power steering is not just any old PS fluid - get it from the dealer) and then see if that fixes the warning. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

Assuming that your car (whatever it is!) is like many others, then the brake warning may also act as a general brake warning. If the light is intermittent, then, chances are, you need to check the fluid level (as pads wear, this "opens-up space"[1] in the braking system, causing the fluid level to drop. It's quite normal)

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion in the first place. So there!

[1] Lousy phrase, I know. Any suggestions less than a sentence in length greatly welcomed.. ;o)
Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Three sensors can trigger the light:

  1. Power steering level sensor (on the cap of the plastic reservoir).
  2. Brake fluid level (on top of its tank)
  3. Brake booster pressure sensor (two spade terminals at the back of the main brake cylinder). All three sensor are normally open (wire ORed ) i.e. any one of them can trigger the light. You can eliminate them one by one by unplugging the questionable sensor.

My bet: the third reason above (low pressure in the brake booster). It may be due to power steering pump problem (insufficient pressure - check for leakage), contamination in the hydraulic system (typically after repairs) and deteriorating "bomb" i.e. brake booster high pressure accumulator (to sustain the boost even with stalled engine for a while). The bomb is typically tested by running the engine for minutes, then shutting it and pressing the brake pedal several times. A new bonb will allow over 20 pressings before the pedal hardens (no boost). Less than 6 - definitely calls for replacement (alas not cheap).

If you decide to top up or flush the system, use only Pentosyn 7.11 (or whatever is in your car). People have reported seals deterioration in the steering rack, pump ... It is an expensive mineral oil, but (C$20/l), but using the wrong one is way more expensive. Good luck Plamen, Toronto

Reply to
Petkan