Tech? - Fuel gauge working backwards????

Hi

I'm (VERY new to this Brit car thing)

I recently bought a 1962 AH Sprite MKII. The fuel gauge was not working

- so I bought a new sender unit.

When I tested the sender the gas gauge works - but BACKWARDS.

JUST wondering IF I can (without crating a smoke show) reverse the green wire and the green/black wire on the back of the fuel gauge to fix this problem???

Any help/advice would be GREATLY appriciated!

Thanks Barry

Reply to
62SPRITEr

Ah the old Rustin Freely Sprite!

If its the tank unit that has created the problem why would you want to swap wires on the gauge.

The tank unit is only a variable resistor. Power comes from the 12v through the gauge and to the tank unit to earth.

You should just check the tank unit with a multi meter - resistance.

There must be somewhere on the web for the stages of resistance, empty

1/2 and full - ohms. At "one end" they should still have resistance (10 ohms) and this measure should vary as the resistance is increased In other words I don't think that there should be a full 12v passing through the gauge. (can't find my setting chart for the values)

rm

Reply to
Rob

Hi RM

Thanks - for the words of wisdom.

I did notice that the varistor was "backward to the old one (sender unit) I just thought it would be easier switching heavier wires on the gauge.

I think that I will switch the varistor around instead.

Thanks again

Barry

Reply to
62SPRITEr