Future developments in cars

Except that the drive belt won't handle the torque. Sensible way is to make the whole lot part of the flywheel - no drive then needed and saves weight. Could be a problem when it fails, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave - I came across this:

A flywheel approach would be good - but there would be no reduction ratio.

Reply to
John

Won't be though a belt. It will be direct drive built into flywheel like a pancake disc/CD player drive motor.

Back then they used dynamos not alternators. When everyone moved over to the more reliable alternator it was not possible to use alternator as a starter as they couldn't produce an A/C feed to motor it. Dynamo's were unreliable compared to alternators as the heavy load current is produced in rotor and passes though the segmented commutator, the lower current field coils are static. An alternator only passes a small field current though full circle slip rings [1], the heavy load current is from the stator (static coils).

Yamaha had a dynamo/starter on 125/200 twins. A number of other bikes had combo starter/charging. Sibastart was one system

The invention of Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) and porduction of them in high power versions has allowed low cost DC/AC converters to be made that can motor an A/C device.

[1] superfinshed slip rings give very high slip ring and brush life, mine is now on 166k miles and 18 years old. Older ones would be dead at 80K miles. Dynamos had about 1/2 that life.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Better make sure, no rear end shunts.

Reply to
ThePunisher

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:19:38 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of ThePunisher:

And terrorism might just be a bit of a problem...

Reply to
Alex Buell

=A0 London SW

The Delphi systems temporarily tension the belt more when it is used as a starter, it does work, I have seen it. A belt will transmit lots of power, a typical belt driven supercharger on a 2 liter engine can easily require 20hp, which in some instalations is transmitted through a 25mm wide normal FEAD belt.

smarshall

HP isn't the issue. Torque is. I'm sure it could be done but what's the point?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There would also be a problem with boy-racers; it would be all too easy to turn up the reactor, as we saw in Chernobyl.

Reply to
johannes

chernobyl happened because they turned the reactor DOWN

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Speed kills.

:)

Reply to
DervMan

I disagree, it is the stopping that kills you.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Absolutely, yes, I was trying to sound ironic.

Reply to
DervMan