Getting that showroom finish and smell

I'm about to put my Ford Ka on the market; it is in very good condition and genuine extremely low miles for the year, with service history. To get the best price and do it justice I want to present it really nicely. I've got a decent steam cleaner - is that the best thing for upholstery and carpets or can it harm the material? Is it safe to steam all around the engine or should I avoid the electrics? Do I need to Gunk the engine if I am going to steam clean it? What can I do to give it a really nice professional smell inside (it has never been smoked in).

Is Autotrader the best place to advertise (I'm in Cornwall, near Truro)?

Many thanks, David

Reply to
David

For what it's worth, I'm always suspicious of an engine bay which is spotless when I'm looking at a car. Seems too much like someone's trying to hide something. I realise that not everyone is as suspicious as me.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Do not steam clean the engine. Apart from the risk of buggering up the electrics, it looks really suspicious. People don't go round steam cleaning engines, the implication (false in this case) is that you are trying to hide something like an oil leak. I wouldn't bother getting the interior cleaned either. Just hoover it and wipe the dust off the dash. Anything else and again it will look sus.

Just sell it for what it is - a good honest car in good condition.

Reply to
Robert R News

The message from "Al Reynolds" contains these words:

I am!

As for the new car smell - you can get "New car smell" flavoured air fresheners - possibly Magic Tree. Saw one in the car shop the other day. Hide it under a seat so it's not too obvious.

Reply to
Guy King

Once the car is spotless take photos of the interior/engine/boot and all the paperwork (layed out of a coffee table I suppose) .

Select the best looking photos and junk the rest or take more photos if needed , Personally I find clicking on the back button a pain in the arse and doing a image layout like the one on

would be a good starting point .

In your case , Some text between the thumbnails and the actual photo might be suitable if you dont over do it .

Reply to
SOR

I would have to disagree with you. A car that looks like it has had a 'good hoover' implies to me that's the best it has looked. It would give me the impression that it was an 'average' car. Personally I would like to see an immaculate interior (includes glass, plastic cleaner etc). Put pot pouri in the ashtray (regardless of whether or not its smoked in), a new air fresher and some TLC. Dont use water to clean carpets / seats as if it doesnt dry properly could give a damp / musty smell. I'd also avoid carpet fresher I.e 'Shake n Vac' as it gives the impression animals have been in there. An immaculate (or as good as) exterior, including waxed bodywork, cleaned bumpers / plastic and put a bit of black boot polish on the tyres is always nice to see. A clean engine is nice although I would be concerned if it is steam cleaned. I would use a rag and a spot of soapy water (mind those electrics) and clean it as best as you can. Try some gunk aswell, but dont do it too perfectly. I'd also leave a blanket, first aid kit etc so it can be seen to give the impression you are a responsible motorist. And all those receipts you have for the car and old MOT certificates - Hunt them out for mileage verification and to show you have regularly maintained it.

Regards

Reply to
Rosetta Fawn

Besides, It'll sell for much less than the OP probably hopes for regardless of how clean/shiny/new smelling it is. In the best case it'll fetch only£100 more than a slightly grubby car of the same ilk.

James of Sunderland

Reply to
James

If it did only fetch £100 or so more, thats not bad for a days work. Dependending on it's age IME it will fetch £150+

Reply to
Rosetta Fawn

A very good point

You will only get that on a new car.

WTF!!! Who puts boot polish on their tyres. I mean really, do you put boot polish on your tyres? So why should oyu when you sell it? I'd much prefer to buy a car without a load of shit on the tyres (for one thing my clothes are going to be ruined if I get a flat), and out of the ordinary stuff like this looks like you are trying to hide something.

Why do it at all if you aren't going to do it "too perfectly". You want an immaculate outside and interior, but the engine mustn't be too immaculate?

Again, who ever washes the engine? Why do it when you are selling?

This bit I'd agree with. Although in my case I am looking after more and more of it myself so don't have reciepts.

Reply to
Robert R News

Thanks one and all for the input. Point taken about overdoing the cleaning!

Many thanks, David

Reply to
David

I do!

Honestly I do! - But I travel 5k a year.

What can you hide on a tyre?

Have the engine clean yes, but not too clean to create suspicision.

To help sell it

The price of car maintenance nowadays you'd be a fool not to.

Regards

Rosetta Fawn

The message from "Rosetta Fawn" contains these words:

Why?

Reply to
Guy King

Fair enough, but I think you're nuts!! :-)

It suggests that you are trying to make the car look better than it actually is. I'd be immediatly suspicious if I saw a car that had obviously been tarted up.

Exactly, why clean it at all? There is no need to clean an engine. A clean engine means either: It's had major surgery and been rebuilt, so may or may not be a good buy depending on the rebuild. It's got leaks etc and it's been cleaned to remove the evidence. It's been cleaned in the misguided belief that it will help get a better price. Still would be wary even if I knew this was the case because water may have got into the electrics.

Not to me. I'd walk away.

[reciepts]

Well that and I like messing with mechanical stuff!

Reply to
Robert R News

Does anyone actually believe crap like this anymore ?

Reply to
Lordy

Doubt it. You've got no way of telling what state it was in beforehand and it was possible that it was kept immaculately.

Reply to
Scott M

Hi Guy

Who eats car fresheners to find that out??

Reply to
Steve Sweet

A friend of mind dabbles in cars, enjoys the tinkering mainly but dont we all (unless it something major/expensive/tricky and needed for the MOT tomorrow) bought a car, i forget what, nothing special- 5/6yrs old at an auction by us. He spent a few hrs washing and cleaning it and sold it at the same auction just 1 week later and made £100. Not bad 100 quid for a a quick hoover and wash!!!!!

Reply to
cavemansi