Glow plug timer relay

This seems to be misbehaving on my ATV (this has a 3 cylinder diesel, badged Caterpillar but presumably Japanese, and has a "glow plug on" light). From a quick eBay, I can get one for a Freelander for £15. There's a separate relay on the engine to switch the glowplug current, I can't see any obvious reason why a Freelander timer should not work. (Obviously, I may have to fiddle with the terminals but I have a workshop manual for the ATV so it's easy to work out the connections)-.

I did just wonder whether to fit a manual switch, perhaps a "spring off" one

Reply to
newshound

once it runs you shouldn't need them on anymore, so a simple switch or push button would be ideal for anyone with a little knowledge, the timer is for the less mechanically minded plug and play generation.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Not just that I think. Many diesels keep the plugs running for longer than the panel warning light would have you believe for emission control. For an ATV I?d just have a simple sprung ?push to make contact? button switch though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

certainly, but this is not a california car, even if you were to remove the glow plugs entirely and start them on easy start a modern diesel would still make the emission standards needed for the mot.

The OP states that it is an ATV, so it really doesn't matter.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks. I'll have a poke around. My mechanic friend also suggested it might be worth checking that all three glow plugs still work, which means whipping off the "bus-bar" that daisy-chains the power from the first to the rest.

The disadvantage with a simple switch is that access to the back of the dash is a bit fiddly, whereas even if the landy one has different sized terminals these are fairly accessible.

Reply to
newshound