Glow Plugs Fault

Just bought a Peugeot 306 TD. After barely a week I had to replace all the glow plugs through slow starting/non-starting. Is there a way the
dealer could have disguised this for a few days? He is at fault with three electrical issues, so now I am wondering whether I can chase him for the plugs as well?
Unhappy Motoring
In article <124e7c97-9627-433d-8118-
says...

Its a 306. It's hardly a current model so there's a fair bit of caveat emptor involved. Dealer is only liable for what he lied about and what makes it dangerous.
--
Conor

were saying:

Indeed. Even the newest 306 is 7-8yo now. Glowplugs are a service item.
were saying:

Thinking about it, if the glows are even needed this time of year, it's probably the older 1.9 XUD instead of an HDi - so at least a decade old.
> Indeed. Even the newest 306 is 7-8yo now. Glowplugs are a service item.
Was it agreed the vehicle was serviced prior to purchase then, by any chance?
were saying:

By "service item", I don't mean that they're part of the regular service schedule - they're not - but that they're a consumable that needs replacing every now and then - like tyres or brake pads/discs.

Is it the XUD9(T) engine? It's not unheard of for the plug timer to head south and for the plugs to run all the time - they won't last long in this situation.
Notwithstanding the above the plugs never last more than a few years (at best) in these cars because of the post engine start glow function that these engines have (the older XUD's didn't). If you have something about you then it is an easy task to disable this feature by adjusting the microswitch on the pump throttle arm. Doing this will treble glow plug life - a swine to change on the intercooled engines!
Julian.

I'm just a normal punter and have never run a business or worked selling but can't understand why so many these days seems to think a seller has all the responsibilty. When buying something second hand its up to you to satisfy yourself its up to the job. If you don't have the skills to make the judgement then take someone with you who does know. If I buy something from ebay or a second hand car, its up to me to make sure its ok and if it isn't then its my fault, no one else. Its not retail and you can't take it back and get a refund like you can at M&S.
Mark

Sure that's true if you buy privately, but for example I just bought a car in January and it came with the promise it had been serviced, which it has, and a 1 month full warranty and 2 further months on a 50:50 basis.
He had the rear screen heater repaired and the thermostat changed for me for free in the 1st month and in the second month we went halves on a rear shock absorber - during which time he lent me a car. It is now out of warranty and all down to me.
I was well impressed with the guy/dealership and would definitely recommend him to others. Winners all round I believe and exactly as it should work.
were saying:

Sorry, he replaced ONE damper only?
VERY, very, very bad practice indeed.

He did. and I can't argue with you, only to say I very much doubt it will make the slightest difference. I've *never* previously changed rear shocks on the several cars I have owned to over 100,000 miles. This one hasn't done 50,000 yet and the changed shocker was clearly leaking and performing *very* badly. As I say though, I accept you and Conor are right and had it been at the front I would have insisted as a matter of course. I'd still use the guy again though, because I believe had I requested it, he wouldn't have hesitated to agree but admittedly he took the opportunity to save a few quid.
I'll remember for next time ! ;-)
says...

You're supposed to replace dampers, springs and brakes in pairs....
--
Conor

Andy Cap

he did say he went halves on a shocker, maybe he paid for one the dealer the other?

The key word here is "dealer". It is retail.
There was a time when a dealer would be able to legitimately sell their cheaper cars off as "Sold as seen, trade sale" etc. with no come back. Those days are long gone.