Gold 1.8 Driver, 91 model, Where is the idle screw??

Hi,

My brother just bought a VW Golf Driver 1.8 and the idle is at 1500 rpm I had a quick look and can't see the idle adjuster in any obvious location so I am guessing its behind or under something..

Any pointers would be appreciated..

Thanks

Reply to
WipeOut

Mk3 or 4?

We'll need to know that for starters! (i.e. Pierburg or single point injection)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Mk3 or 4??????? 1991??????

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yes could be both at that year.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

And even so, I don't think the first Mk3s came about until 1992. 1991 is H/J reg changeover year - as in only the very early J reg ones would be 91 registered - I'm sure the Mk3 started later than that.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Tim (remove obvious) ( snipped-for-privacy@NObtinternetSPAM.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mk 2 or 3, surely?

Reply to
Adrian

Its a Mk2 with a carb..

Reply to
WipeOut

Yes, its a J reg, Mk2..

Reply to
WipeOut

*shudder*

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Golfs and Pierburg carbs are a black art.

Reply to
SteveH

It has a large nut on the side of the carb which adjusts the idle speed, but first check that the choke is going off and that the throttle cable has slack and that the engine gets to normal temp.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks, I will have a look.. Would it be in the side where the cable is connected?

I am going to check the choke operation this morning and I did feel some slack (maybe too much) in the cable..

The temperature is fine, I just put a new thermostat in yesterday but finished too late to set the idle etc.. Whoever had the car before obviously decided that cars don't need thermostats so when I opened up the housing it was empty.. Thats scary!!..

Reply to
WipeOut

I had a good poke around this morning.. Couldn't see anything that looked like an idle screw/bolt but what I have found is the rubber flange that sits between the carp and the manifold look like it has a crack in it which obviously means an air leak and so a high idle..

Looks like it going to be a real bitch to get the carb off because its so tight in there and I can't really even see the mounting bolts..

Is there some trick to getting these carbs off??

Thanks

WipeOut wrote:

Reply to
WipeOut

make sure the rubber is split by spraying some carb cleaner or wd40 around the split with the engine idling, if it changes speed you know it is leaking, IIRC the carb bolts on from the top ie long bolts right through.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Is the choke coming off?

Reply to
Conor

That's your problem mate, you've got a fish blocking the inlet up.

Reply to
SimonJ

The message from "SimonJ" contains these words:

Probably left it in the carp ark too long.

Reply to
Guy King

LOL.. Really should learn to re-read my posts..

Reply to
WipeOut

Yes, its looks like its coming off fine..

Reply to
WipeOut

Thanks I will have a look at that..

Reply to