Odd Steering Problem

I've had a problem with my old 1986 Camry for 6+ weeks now and want to run it by the group. The car has front wheel drive and a 4-cylinder engine.

First, some preliminaries: for a long time I've needed a front end alignment on the car (it pulls to the left) but haven't had it done. Also, on 3/23 I had a timing belt replaced.

Since the timing belt replacement, when driving, the car's steering is apt to slightly jerk to the left momentarily at times, and this is most noticeable and most disturbing when driving on the interstate, at 65, when friction between tires and road is lowest. This seems to coincide with the engine working harder. It also jerks to the right, and that jerking seems to coincide mostly with decelerating, again, often slightly.

A friend told me to check the CV joint boots. Well, examination showed that the right outer CV joint boot was cut, and I had the right halfshaft entired replaced on 4/30. But doing that still didn't change the problem.

After last week's replacement, the shop told me the power steering pump was leaking badly and suggested replacement. I confirmed the leak but the leak seems to be very gradual, as changes in power steering fluid level occur only very slowly and are now in acceptable range. The shop also suggested that the left halfshaft be replaced. They didn't say they'd looked at it for damage and I didn't ask, but unlike the right side prior to 4/30, the left halfshaft CV joint boots looked fine (and still are).

I still drive the car, and think I am safe. My thoughts are that this problem is most likely due to either:

1- the leaking power steering pump, or, 2- the left halfshaft having one or both CV joints being marginal.

As I see it, the power steering pump is probably acting erratically, and the reason I didn't have the problem before the 3/23 timing belt replacement is either that the tension on the belt was changed, mostly likely increased, or one of the connections to the pump was not sealed properly on the timing belt replacement. So now, perhaps, the discharge pressure from that pump is sometimes erratic and it can rise or fall abruptly and momentarily, thus causing the jerking.

Or, maybe the left halfshaft is the problem.

I don't think the car's misalignment explains this jerking.

Anyway, I want to bounce this off anyone who's interested enough to reply. Thanks in advance.

m.h.

Reply to
M. Hamill

I don't think the steering jerking around on you at high speeds is something to play with. You ought to take it to Toyota dealer and see what they say. They probably won't "steer" you wrong.

Reply to
badgolferman

No clue what they will tell you in a.a.t.c, but first off, get it aligned. You know it needs done, so do it or get it done, it will save you wear on your tires. If the "jerking" is only in one direction and mostly in a specific speed range, get your tires balanced, and your brakes checked. Along with the brake pads, have the tech check your rotors you may have a slight warp that shows up at certain speed ranges.

Second, no mater what make it is, timing belts deal with engine fire time... valve close, cylinder compress, spark fire, valve open, 4 strokes have an extra cycle to push the spent gases out. Time belts (chains, gears) don't deal with steering. Even on the one belt wonders, engine timing is handled separate.

Have you given any consideration to buying a Chilton's book? You can pick them up for most makes and models for about $25(US) and if you watch E-bay, often cheaper. Browse over it, get some idea of how your car works, and then you will be in a *much* better setting to get things fixed, or even fix some of them yourself.

Sorry if that sounds rude, and I do honestly hope it helps.

Mike

--
Anything can be done.
There are only two limitations in life.

alignment

that

entired

was

for

the

is

or

is

For a car to change direction, either during power on or off (coasting), indicates there is substantial wear at one or more points in the steering-gear and/or suspension.

Front-wheel drive cars are subject to 'torque steer' which on first analysis seems to be a factor also, but in your case I think the worn steering/suspension is the real problem. Once that is fixed the T/S will reduce or disappear.

To put it another way: T/S will be felt more, if both front wheels are not rigidly connected to each other thru the steering linkages. It is that rigid connection which enables T/s forces to be controlled in one wheel by the stability of the other.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Check the tie rods and the other joints. It's possible that a component is worn to the point of being loose. Jack the whole front end up and check for anything wobbly.

alignment

that

entired

was

for

the

is

or

is

Reply to
Roger

I have had this problem with three cars, in my case the car would suddenly steer one way or the other, it turned out to be the tires on two of them, the other one I sold and it was still doing it when I sold it. One was a Corvette that had the back tires put on the front. The corvettes have independent rear suspension and tend to wear the tires on the inside when on the back, when the tires were put on the front the car would wonder left and right, it was impossible to go straight down the road unless it was on a cement road or a new flat asphalt road. One tire and then the other would try to climb the trough on asphalt roads. The other car was a Toyota and I still don't know why new front tires made such a difference but the problem quit when new front tires were put on the car, the last car was a Datsun with extra wide rims and the steering geometry was so messed up because of the rims I never bothered with trying to get it to track right, I sold it the way it was buyer beware. Torque steer has already been mentioned and that is very possibly the cause. You might try inflating the tires to the max allowed and see if it tracks better, if it does I'd be looking at a couple for a couple of new tires.

"M. Hamill" wrote:

Reply to
ZZonka Tonka