Handbrake dashboard lamp always lit

Hi,

Just got it on my Nissan Micra K11 (1995). After had braked hard at red, it went on and now it lights all the time even if handbrake released. Both front/rear brakes work fine, car was heavy showered today. Can it be anything serious?

Regards

/Krystian Lelek

Reply to
Krystian Lelek

Low pads or fluid. Read the manual. THe handbrake warning light also serves as a low pad or low brake fluid light on alot of cars.

Reply to
Conor

Most likely low brake fluid level. Could also be faultly handbrake lever sensor, or faulty brake fluid level sensor.

Reply to
Johnny

"Johnny" wrote in news:42d9d8da snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

I would agree that the fluid level is probably low. I'm not sure but I don't think that this car would have wear sensors (I know that Primeras of this age don't). Try checking the fluid and topping up if necessary. If this clears the light, I would then get the pads checked - they must have worn down for the fluid level to have dropped.

Reply to
Stu

Yes. On some well designed cars, assuming no leaks, if the brake fluid is set to the correct level with new pads etc, the fluid warning light will come on when the pads wear to near minimum. So with those it's not a good idea to top up the master cylinder between times. Just make sure the fluid is totally changed every two years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

Heh, I'll never get through a set of pads in under two years, hence I don't have the luxury of using the fluid level as a wear indicator ;-) I just top up the fluid after every change and inspect the discs & pads every year. IMHO, regular inspection of braking components is the only true safeguard against excessive wear.

Reply to
Stu