Handbrake noise

Hi,

Ka..... A few months ago I whipped the drums off, checked for leaks and gave everything a good clean with brake cleaner, everything went back together OK and I didn't touch anything else.

The wife has just pointed out that the handbrake has an issue now, when applied it now travels easily up a bit and then goes a bit slack accompanied by a distinct clunk from what sounds like the lever area. It's only by applying extra pressure past this point that the handbrake will hold the car on a slope. Main brakes seem to work fine, brakes not binding AFAICT.

Dunno if I've got anything to do with this! Any thoughts or bets on what the problem is? :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

sounds like the cable may be seized

Reply to
Mrcheerful

IANAM (I am not a mechanic)

...or the handbrake cable has slack

1) as you first move the handbrake, you move it against no resistance

- the cable isn't engaged, so you're moving nothing but the handle

2) as it reaches a certain point you hear a noise as the cable engages where it should be

3) the handbrake is applied as normal now everything is in place

Failing that, could it be the auto adjuster has seized ? (it has on my Hyundai, leading to the handbrake coming up quite a long way...)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

rusty cable?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

When the cable gets seized the return springs cannot pull the cable back as far as they should, hence the slack bit, as the cable gets pulled you get a noise as the end of the cable engages, then the cable actually pulls and the whole lot works, just needing more pull than normal.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks....

Is replacing the cable going to be a pain without a car lift? The noise is noticeably louder on the nearside so is it likely I can get away with just replacing that one or should I do both while I'm at it?

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

Mostly fords have a one piece cable . Even two piece ones it would be usual to change both sides at the same time. Replacing handbrake cables is not usually easy for the home mechanic. I would not say it is one to cut your teeth on. Brakes are a very high safety item and it should be done by a competent mechanic with the right equipment, just in case.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I've never found them difficult, even without a lift. I've done Minis (often!) and our Previa (£100 a side after-market!!!). Due to the cost on that one I only did the one side.

One thing that does also tend to cause similar issues is seized quadrants or compensator mechanisms. I don't know the layout of the Mondeo handbrake, but on many cars there is a pivot mechanism where the two cables meet which can seize.

Reply to
asahartz

The noise and jerk have gone away now, does it still need doing?

It's only a three spanner job on the Haynes scale and I've done a number of those before without issue, is it really a big deal to do it? I've not dismantled the whole brake shoe assembly before so I'll make sure we've (going to get a friend to help) done a decent diagram of where the bits go first!

Cheers,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

The springs are a bit fiddly, you'll want to photograph it so you can remember how they go back. But it's not hard.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Good idea :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

And only dismantle one side at a time, so you can look at the other side and see what connects to what.

Remembering that it will be the other hand, natch.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat