Mondeo handbrake

1998 2.0 16v zetec

What's the normal travel on a mondeo hatchback, from it first 'biting' to being fully on? Mine's 4 clicks to bite and 9 clicks fully on.

Reason I ask is because I wasn't happy with the strength of the handbrake, no matter how hard you pulled it I couldnt' get the wheels to lock (not that I'm wanting to do handbrake turns or anything), worst of all was if I'm on a slight hill and use the handbrake as normal the car would start to roll, I would have to really yank it to get it to grip.

Figuring it was a pad problem I changed them (drum brakes), old pads had plenty of wear still left and there was no lipping of the drums. Cleaned everything out, fitted pads and set auto adjusters.

Quite a difference when using the brake pedal but no difference on the handbrake, slightly worse if anything. Cars done 300 miles since so should all be bedded in yet still no improvement.

The one annoying problem is that the handbrake now travels further than it used to. Tried resetting the adjuster as described by Mr. Haynes (not exactly easy) and the travel was lessened for the first few uses. Then after refitting the centre console used the handbrake about a dozen times and it suddenly went back to travelling all the way up to 9 clicks fully on.

Haynes goes on about gripping cble and equaliser between feet before pulling cable through 40mm to set auto adjuster, what on earth does that mean? I can find the ratchet but can't see how the cable can be pulled through.

Help!! Is my handbrake travel normal and why is it so weak?

Reply to
Kay

Hi Kay

Mondeo's were the subject of a factory recall due to handbrake prob's, check if your may be one of them.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

Have a look here

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Nope, not listed as one of the recalls. Travel was normal until I changed the shoes. Just did'nt have any 'bite'.

Reply to
Kay

Crap handbrakes on the new model Mondeo... Ford changing the handbrake cables now to manual adjusting type... A real pain in the Arse.... you have to remove the exhaust heat shields to adjust them.....

Trust Ford to f**k up a simple design like a handbrake.

JK

Reply to
JK

Oh well there is your problem! You messed it up! Better to take it to a garage and let them fix it again for you. Don't go messing with brakes as a beginner, you might need to rely on them one day.

Reply to
AM200

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AM200" saying something like:

Do you actually know anything about cars?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon