Window guide lubrication

Hi,

Has anyone done this ? The electric windows on my BMW 316 appear to be having trouble when raising / lowering. I have taken the motor apart as the windows have the common e36 problem of only moving approx 1/2 inch with each button press, but at least it now moves, which it didn't on Friday. I think that if I can lubricate the track it may help, but what to use ? WD40 is too oily and would gunge up, Vaseline would be the same, so I am at a bit of a loss. Any thoughts appreciated.

-- Regards Brian please remove nospam if responding by e-mail

Reply to
Brian

Cheap and nasty furniture polish works for me.

-- James

Reply to
James

The message from "Alan" contains these words:

Works for me. You can also get nylon/rubber lubricant spray.

If you're tight fisted, a smear of silicone house polish will do...just don't get it anywhere where you might expect to have to respray anytime before you sell it.

Reply to
Guy King

Holts do a rubber and nylon lubricant, about £4 from a motor factors. Used it on my Cav a couple of months ago, noticeable difference. I only sprayed the visible part of the channel as well, i.e. didn't take the door trim off and spray the guide with the window up. Be careful spraying any old thing in there, you don't want a build-up of gunge.

Pete

Reply to
PM

thanks guys,

I've just tried Halfords for some lubricating spray, out of stock at present. think I'll give Mr Sheen a try.