Help with a problem - could be battery but am not sure!

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my car. Sometimes (about once every three days), it refuses to start (I live on a hill, so I can normally start it up by giving it a push). I had a guy take a look at it and he says that the the battery seems OK, but he said that he put some water in it.

Fine, I thought, that's that. But no, it's still happening.

When I say it won't start, I mean that it's completely dead. No churning of the starter motor, nothing. Even when it does start, it takes a while of spluttering and coughing (bit like me in the morning - note to self, give up smoking).

Is this definitely the battery, or could these symptoms be caused by something else (starter motor? alternator?)?

Any ideas, references, URLs, discussions welcomed.

If this is not the right place to post, I apologise, and would request that somebody point me at a better group.

Paul...

Reply to
Paul

He didn't charge you for this water did he? Nowt to do wi't'problem.

It sounds like it's either the starter solenoid sticking or a poor connection between starter and battery. Clean the battery terminals, check the connections to the starter are secure (and if you're feeling brave, whip them off and check for any dirt or corrosion (don't forget to disconnect the battery first!!)), check the ground strap from battery to chassis isn't breaking up (and clean terminals again.)

Quick check: On a day when it plays up, stick the headlights on when trying to start. If they dim then there's a duff connection somewhere and not enough juice is getting through to start it. If they stay bright then the solenoid is probably sticking.

Reply to
Scott M

it is probably nothing more than a weak battery. drive it to any average garage, accessory shop or most tyre and exhaust centres and ask them to put a tester on it.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

If it's all dead, then comes to life - suspect a fualty connection to the battery +iv, or earth, or the starter solenoid and power connections.

If the lights are dead as well as the starter, then it points to the battery or it's connections.

I once had a problem where the + terminal looked OK but wasn't quite tight - so when starting, the load made the terminal pop away from the post slightly and break the connection - tightened up the clamp and hey presto! You never know.

But if he did have to top-up the battery, and all connections are tight, then the batt would be my no 1 suspect .... you can check the voltage, shouldbe about 13.5 - 14 volts across the terminals, but take the reading after the battery has remained unused for 10 mins or so.

Reply to
R. Murphy

13.5-14V is about what you might expect to see with the engine running and the battery being charged by the alternator. It will drop off very, very quickly to circa 12V once the engine has stopped.

Testing battery terminal voltage when off-load is only really a partial indicator - if it's much below 12V then yes, the battery is very probably dead, dying or insufficiently charged. However, just because the off-load voltage is a solid 12-13V, this is no real indicator of anything.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

I have had this problem on an old volvo, I used to find a gentle tap with a small hammer on the starter motor cured it every time, but eventually it went completely. I think you are lookin at a new or recon starter motor, Paul.

Reply to
** Pee Cee **

Hence why I said "on a day when it plays up."

Reply to
Scott M

Ah, sorry, I misread - I see where you're coming from.

Reply to
Nick Dobb