Holy Disintegrating Thermostats Batman!

My Jeep continues in its quest to be the most unreliable piece of crap ever bought. This week's failure was the thermostat. I got an engine check light with an "engine too cold for too long" error code. What's surprising is that he thermostat had disintegrated into its components. It took ages to fish all the bits out of the thermostat housing. It looks as if the brass strap holding the wax castle and spring in place has corroded through.

Are all Jeeps this crap? I've had more failures on this in ten months than I have had on the Ford in 11 years.

Reply to
Steve Firth

since the exploder was so wonderful, why on earth would you buy something different?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mrcheerful wrote: [snip]

I needed another 4x4. Isn't that a somewhat obvious answer?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Another bit of joy for you to contemplate - Jeeps have a plastic impeller on the water pump if even one vane brakes off then it may overheat. :)

Reply to
Rob

En el artículo , Steve Firth escribió:

Filled with the wrong coolant?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I did wonder. The coolant was the same pink as the passivated glycol that the book recommends. The colour of the AF was very pale compared to the refill, previous owner had a meticulous main dealer history but I don't trust main dealers. All the common faults on a WJ Jeep were present, bonnet struts, warped disks, blown tweeters and dodgy throttle body. OTOH the owner sold it for peanuts and it had an excellent LPG installation. It's just irritating that Jeep build quality is living down to it's reputation.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Try looking here before buying your next 3/5/7 year old car.

the Cherokee is about average
the Grand Cherokee is pure shit
Jeep are down there near bottom of all reliability tables along with Alfa and Citroen. Though Citroen have improved quite a bit (junked the

1950's (won't) pump up suspension that had to have major parts replaced every 3 years) so Alfa are now a long way adrift. Oddly FIAT are nowhere near as bad. Renault are down near the bottom too. Thanks to the partnership, Nissan are trying to close the gap (no doubt by using the same cheap crap Euro suppliers of electrical systems) and intend to join them at the bottom of the table.

In a current What Car mag survey Nissan were the worst of the "Japanese" makes by a long way and could only tie with the very average mediocre VW - below Ford. The mag survey had high scores around 86%? With low somewhere in 60's% (68%?) and had comment that in middle of table a 3 place movement from last year was the result of a very small change.

Jeep and Alfa get dishonourable mentions in Which Car too.
BMW also seem to have issues, USA made models being much worse. Newer Euro models also seem to have electrics down to Euro standards. It seems they have stopped specing the premium grade systems and now take the generic stuff.

Reply to
Peter Hill

If, as you seem to be saying, European electrics have got worse in the last few years, could this be linked to the RoHS rules?

Other industries are beginning to notice many premature failures caused by the RoHS solder not being as stable as the old tin/ lead alloys.

Reply to
John Williamson

so why not another exploder? is the obvious intent of the question.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's complete s**te. I've owned a number of Cits and none of the suspension systems needed "major parts" replaced every three years. If you are referring to the spheres these are service items, and they need replacing rarely, not every three years. They last longer than hydraulic shocks and they cost less to replace.

Still, good to see you promoting 1920s technology over 1950s technology.

Reply to
Steve Firth

If that was the question, why didn't you ask that question?

Here's a clue, what year did Ford stop selling RHD Explorers in the UK?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yup,there's many reliability issues that can fairly be aimed at them, but the hydraulics aren't any worse than conventional suspension.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I see you've not been working on the problems you have with your attitude ;-)

Where did you mention you had wanted a vehicle of a particular year?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I would have no interest in finding out, but since they are so wonderful (according to you), what difference would the age make? According to you they are amazingly reliable, comfortable, economical etc. So why have you replaced it with another make? If you find something is good (as you have claimed) then stick with it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Then why do you have any interest in the matter at all?

The Explorer that I have is one of the last to be sold in the UK via a main dealer. If I replace it with another Explorer that vehicle would probably have to be older. There's no point.

I could go for a personal import but I don't want to fly to the USA to inspect vehicles or the hassle of SVA. OTOH if I find an Eddie Bauer spec Exploder for reasonable money, I'll buy it.

A lie, I've never claimed that they are economical. Nor have I claimed that the reliability is "amazing".

Is there some law that says that I may not? And it's not "replaced" numb nuts. I still have it. I said that I needed another 4x4 not to get rid of the one I have.

The claims above were yours, not mine.

Why? Are you the arbiter of what people may or may not do?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Where did I mention that I wanted to waste time answering the childish questions of a d*****ad who can't find his shift key? And why would I want a car that's older than the one that I had at the time?

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, you have that distinction.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

[mega snip]

You don't get to decide.

And I note that as usual having dropped your pigeon poop you're not in a frame of mind to clean up after you. Why bother asking your. cretinous questions when you're clearly not interested in the answers?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I am entitled to my opinion, which seems similar to other posters. Never start a sentence with 'and' Dropping odd full stops into your text is confusing.

You have still not answered my question. The Exploder is still available. I have no idea which country you are in. Since you have stated many times what a wonderful vehicle Exploders are I cannot understand why you would want to go for a different make of vehicle, if you needed an extra 4x4 (not clear from your original post IIRC) then why not get another Exploder or at least stick with Ford? Jeep has a poor reputation in the UK (as does the Exploder) so it would not usually come very high on a wish list, especially to someone as clever as you.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I wasn't talking about your opinion. I was talking about your asking questions that you have no interest in seeing an answer to.

Buy a copy of Fowler, now. To put it another way you are wrong.

So is your inability to find the shift key.

Yes I have. You not liking or understanding the answer is not the same as me not answering the question.

No it's not. Secondhand Explorers are available, the vast majority of which are older or of a specification that I do not want.

Bless.

And off you go again with your lies. No I haven't said that. I have said that they were much better than they were made out to be by Top Gear and other motoring magazines. They offer a huge boot space, five comfortable seats, proper 4x4 with high and low ratio boxes, decent rack and pinion steering, an excellent engine mated to a a extremely good gearbox with well chosen ratios. They accelerate faster than a Mk1 Golf GTi, stop extremely well with disks all round and they are rugged and reliable.

I'd consider a Toyota Amazon VX as an alternative but they cost 3x the price are no more reliable and they use more fuel for a lower top speed and much slower acceleration. They don't offer any greater towing or load carrying capacity.

I've told you why.

Clearly you wee confused by my use of the word "another" to mean "another car" rather than "a replacement car". I do apologise for confusing you with my abysmally correct use of English.

I've told you why not. Why are you so determined to tell me what to buy?

Which current Ford do you consider to be similar to the Explorer? I can't see a single model that fits the bill. The Maverick (Mazda Tribute) is a joke. The Kuga even more of a joke.

A Jeep is not on your wish list, neither is the Explorer so I should choose an Explorer to please you? Forgive me for daring to make my own choices in life and not understanding your desire to tell me what to buy.

Tssk, don't say things you don't mean, it makes you look like a pillock.

I like ice cream, I don't want to eat just ice cream all my life.

Reply to
Steve Firth