how does modern electric power steering work?

I ask as I realised today that my power steering works even when the engine's not running (I have a new Kia Cee'd ecodynamic diesel jobbie) and that it's completely in audible. I had expected to hear the whirring of pumps or at least the whining of a motor but even with the bonnet open, I can't hear a thing.

For the puzzled I should perhaps add that this assistance only works when the engine has stopped itself utilising its "stop/go" technology. Just turning on the ignition doesn't activate the power steering motors.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

mostly small cars use a powered steering column, it has movement sensors and motors that help to turn the steering. If the vehicle isn't in 'run' mode then it won't add power assistance, simply because of the speed the battery would flatten.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks. They're impressively quiet motors I have to say. Does this mean that they are in effect "direct drive"?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

the motor looks like a wiper motor, sticks out sideways, so presumably it turns either way as needed, no idea about how it is so quiet. The only ones I have changed have been vauxhall ones and I sent the old ones for exchange. They are a frequent failure on some vehicles, esp. corsa and punto. not usually motor failure, but the sensor for movement.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

The motor *may* be mounted on the rack; you wouldn't hear it from the cabin in that case. The motor also only runs when required, which is one of the reasons that fuel economy is improved.

Most of the noise from conventional dc motors comes from the brushes running on the commutator. The motors used in EPS systems are likely to be brushless permanent magnet ones with electronic commutation, so will be inherently quiet.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan