How GM "Lied" About The Electric Car

The Chevy Volt has been hailed as General Motors' electric savior. Now, as GM officially rolls out the Volt this week for public consumption, we're told the much-touted fuel economy was misstated and GM "lied" about the car being all-electric.

In the past, and based on GM's claims, we've gone so far as to call the Volt GM's "Jesus Car." And why wouldn't we call it that? We were told the Volt would achieve 230 MPG fuel economy and would always use the electric drivetrain to motivate the wheels ? only using the onboard gasoline engine as a "range extender" for charging the batteries. It now turns out that not only were those fuel economy claims misleading, but the gasoline engine is actually used to motivate the wheels ? making the Volt potentially nothing more than a very advanced hybrid car and pushing some automotive journalists like Scott Oldham at Edmunds.com to claim "GM lied to the world" about it.

First of all, let's talk about fuel economy. In August of last year, we heard GM's then-CEO Fritz Henderson claimed with all the marketing might it could muster at a Detroit-area press event, that the Chevy Volt would get 230 MPG in city driving conditions. Now, as the Volt's being tested by the auto trade press, we're seeing some surprisingly low fuel economy figures amid the expected lavish praise buff books are heaping upon the Volt.

Let's see what they've found out. Popular Mechanics saw just 37.5 MPG in city driving. Car and Driver apparently didn't choose to use their wheel time for any city driving ? but found with all-electric driving

"...getting on the nearest highway and commuting with the 80-mph flow of traffic-basically the worst-case scenario-yielded 26 miles; a fairly spirited back-road loop netted 31; and a carefully modulated cruise below 60 mph pushed the figure into the upper 30s."

Motor Trend, like the rest of the trade press other than Popular Mechanics, didn't appear to do any testing in city conditions, but did find that

"Without any plugging in, [a weeklong trip to Grandma's house] should return fuel economy in the high 30s to low 40s."

They also parrot GM's new line of 25-50 miles of all-electric ? a far cry from the 230 MPG they originally marketed ? that the "Volt provides

25-50 miles of real-world electric operation no matter how hard you flog it."

But while even providing only 10% of the fuel economy initially touted, these more real-world figures are merely an exaggeration. The bigger problem is that, as Mr. Oldham now claims, is that GM lied to them about the powertrain.

Since the Volt was first unveiled as a concept car, GM engineers, public relations staff and executives have all claimed adamantly that the internal combustion engine did not motivate the wheels. If that were the case then the Volt would be nothing more than a very advanced hybrid. Even as late into the development cycle as this June, we were told the only drivetrain that motivated the wheels was the electric one. The auto trade press swallowed the line, hook and the sinker. Sam Abulesmaid at Autoblog even ran a piece headlined "Repeat after us: The Chevrolet Volt's gas engine does not drive the wheels!." And why shouldn't he have lapped it up when in online chats, the Volt's chief engineer Andrew Farah was saying:

"you're correct that the electric motor is always powering the wheels, whereas in a typical hybrid vehicle the electric motor and the gasoline engine can power the wheels. The greatest advantage of an extended-range electric vehicle like the Volt is the increased all electric range and the significant total vehicle range combined."

This meant that the gasoline engine was nothing more than a "range extender" designed to charge the batteries which would allow the electric drivetrain to continue to move the car ? and allow GM to claim that the Volt was something different, something new and something worthy of taxpayer dollars.

It turns out that's not correct. We're now told by Volt's engineering team that when the Volt's lithium-ion battery pack runs down and at speeds near or above 70 mph the Volt's gasoline engine will directly drive the front wheels along with the electric motors.

That means that for all of the all-electric or extended-range electric vehicle (EREV) hype GM's imbuing in the Volt, it's really nothing more than a plug-in hybrid vehicle. A very advanced plug-in hybrid, but a hybrid nonetheless.

That's enough for Mr. Oldham to claim GM lied to the world and to then go ahead and endorse (via a retweet on Twitter) the all-electric Nissan Leaf (full disclosure ? Mr. Oldham's brother works for Nissan) as the only choice for an electric car.

It's enough for us to wonder why GM pushed the 230 MPG number in the first place and why they didn't just come clean on the powertrain this summer when asked a straightforward question.

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Since all the haters will jump on this I wont do your research on this I will state the electric motor has to run all the time of the car wont run. The gasoline engine that recharges the system will run after the batteries reach the low power level and feed electric power to the engine. if at low battery the car running at over 70 mph the gasoline engine thru the plantary gear setup will assist the electric motor. The electric motor has to run all the time!!!!!! now pick shit with the chickens all you want but save some time to look up the truth.

Reply to
Tom

That GM lied-again.

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

I'm afraid I dont see the reason to buy such a vehicle.

This is what was supposed to save GM??

Reply to
hls

You sound like a lunatic liberal bitching about the Republicans. Go take your meds and calm down. GM never said it would get 230 MPG, with the engine/generator supplying all the power to run the electric motors. If you thought that then you misunderstood.

Reply to
Steve Newman

"The claims have the potential to affect the price of the circa $40,000 Volt. The Federal Government has approved the Volt for a $US7500 tax credit based on the fact that it is an electric vehicle. Hybrids are not eligible for the credit."

Reply to
Bjorn

THis article means you are permitted to take a small amount of fact present it as fact and get it published and since it is negataive it will now become the truth. The real truth is in you finding it out and printing a retraction

Reply to
Tom

You mean that GM is going to retract the Short Circuit? :-)

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Do you ever post anything except lies and smart ass remarks, grow up.

Reply to
Tom

You really should face reality rather than being Mikey's twin.

Reply to
Jim_Higgins

Hmmm.... What is negative about this?

GM needed the $7500 tax credit so they created an electrical car.

The fact that it is not an electrical car does not matter as long as they get the tax credit.

GM has already admitted that given that the car is not moving it is all electric and the users will get a shock.

If the users will want to move the car without outside assistance there is an inside gas guzzler that will help the wheels.

For all practical purposes it is an overpriced Prius but for economical reasons it is an electrical car and the Government More or less has accepted it.

Reply to
Bjorn

Don't let the facts hit you in the ass

Reply to
Tom

at least mike has some posts that require thought, rather than cut and paste and smart ass answers don?t want to start a flame war because I wont fight an unarmed person.

Reply to
Tom

If the first paragraph is true, then GM has some explaining to do. If the govt. has allowed GM to avoid the rules and force us taxpayers to fund it, then we have some voting to do.

Reply to
hls

Conservative shock jock Rush Limbaugh blasted General Motors and the Obama administration, suggesting that a federal tax credit available for the Chevrolet Volt is an admission nobody wants the car.

"Everybody's all excited today, the Chevy Volt has been announced a price at 41 grand," Limbaugh said (read the transcript). "However, you can get it for less -- there's a $7500 tax credit which means that Obama and the government are admitting that nobody wants this, nobody wants it."

"We gotta give you a $7500 discount. Why don't you try this, Mr. Obama, and the rest of you at Obama Motors, just put it out there at

41 grand and let the market decide."

Now that we know that the Volt is a hybrid like the Prius the $7500 is a fraud.

Reply to
Bjorn

The rebate is limited to a specific number of sales. The current hybrids have reached that limit. When to Volt reaches the limit, my experience tells me the fleets will grab up the volt, if GM makes them available to fleets. They will do so just for the lower maintenance cost and the resulting lower down time.

Conservative shock jock Rush Limbaugh blasted General Motors and the Obama administration, suggesting that a federal tax credit available for the Chevrolet Volt is an admission nobody wants the car.

"Everybody's all excited today, the Chevy Volt has been announced a price at 41 grand," Limbaugh said (read the transcript). "However, you can get it for less -- there's a $7500 tax credit which means that Obama and the government are admitting that nobody wants this, nobody wants it."

"We gotta give you a $7500 discount. Why don't you try this, Mr. Obama, and the rest of you at Obama Motors, just put it out there at

41 grand and let the market decide."

Now that we know that the Volt is a hybrid like the Prius the $7500 is a fraud.

Reply to
Mike

all quiet in the hall as people think up a response then a loud clattering of YEA BUT!!!!!!!

Reply to
Tom

In my opinion taking money from one taxpayer to allow another to buy a new car, foreign or domestic, for less is criminal. Particularly taking it from those taxpayers who can not afford a new car.

The same is true B.O.(ZO) so called law to "lower healthcare cost, that forces one taxpayer to subsidize the healthcare cost of another. Doing it for those that can not take care of themselves, like we do with Medicaid, is one thing. But for example, the new law makes employers and others, who do not have children, pay extra to cover those that do, up to 26 years old. That is criminal as well.

Reply to
Mike

If the vehicle has a an ICE and an electric motor, it's a hybrid. The Prius isn't really a hybrid at all since its *only* fuel source (except a tiny amount from regenerative braking) is gasoline. This isn't rocket science people, it's all marketing BS.

Reply to
homey

Anything else than true electric is to continue the same old same old same old to keep the customer coming and coming.

Some of the customers have seen through the bs and want/demand true electric and some of the bigger companies have seen it.

GM creates a true electric by using a tricky marketing and calling the same old same old electric that is the big lie.

Reply to
Bjorn