how much is clutch replacment on bmw 525 td se ?

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, JB decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Aye, I've only driven around 50 manual BMWs in the last 10 years or so. I've so far found around 10 with decent clutches, and two with decent gearchanges.

The two with decent gearchanges were both M5s. An E28 and an E39. The Getrag dog leg box in my old 323i was ok, but still nowhere near as nice as, for example, a Mk2 Escort box.

The last one I drove (Sunday morning this week) was a 175,000 mile 525 TDS with a new clutch in. That was actually quite nice - but gutless.

Admittedly, out of the BMW's I've owned - two E34s, two E28s an E30 and an E21, the manuals have all had 80k+ on the clutches.

I just find it strange that BMW don't seem able to do a simple clutch or gearchange as well as Ford can, then again, Mercedes are awful at manual boxes as well, but they at least can get a clutch action that is consistent and pleasant to use.

Reply to
Pete M

I drove a 530D manual (W reg, whatever E that is...) and the gearchange was just how it should be - balance of clutch weight and shift weight is so good that within a couple of miles you forget you're changing gear. Not like getting into a fiat...

My Volvo has too much left-right spring on the lever, and the fore-aft throw is too long although the clutch weight and action is perfect and the precision is there for good changes, just even though I've driven it over

70k miles it still catches me out how far forwards 3rd gear is and I'll sometimes catch neutral.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk, Tim S Kemp decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Must be a personal thing. I like gearchanges to be smooth, precise, quick, and easy. I always find BMW ones to be overspung in all the wrong directions, notchy, and generally horrible.

I think the last manual Volvo I drove was a 240, so can't comment on 'em, but the 525 TDS I was driving last weekend caught me out a couple of times by popping out / not selecting gear. Infuriating it was.

I've never had this problem with any other make of car, although I did once drive an Allegro with a box almost as horrible as a BMW one.

Reply to
Pete M