Quick bodge on Fiesta Clutch

Hello

My wife has an L reg. Fiesta 1.1L which we are planning on either trading in or selling privately in a month or so for a newer car (3 years old Fiesta or Focus).

The clutch has started to make a loud clunking noise occasionally(and getting more frequent) when the clutch pedal is depressed. I think although not checked that it is the auto adjustment. To stop this noise, and I know it's a bodge, can I simply tighten the other end of the clutch cable at the engine end. As I say its only for a few months and I can't imagine that I will get very much for the car if we trade it, may be slightly more for a private sale. (Any idea how much, 500 trade , 1000 private ???)

Any Comments or suggestions, about the bodge or the choice of new cars.

Are there any problems to watch out for with 3-year-old fiesta or focus models?

Thanks in advance

Jack

Reply to
Jack

My old Escort done this, it was the auto adjust. Its lasted about

2 or 3 months before the clutch finally gave up.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

The only bodge that actually works here is to lock the adjuster quadrant solid by bolting it to the pedal, but to do that you need to take the pedal off , so you may as well fit a new quadrant assy. The parts are about ten pounds but they can be tricky to do if you have no experience of the job. If you do decide to do the job yourself then I seriously suggest that you remove the two front seats and I would not recommend you attempt this job if you suffer back problems.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

remove cable from lever and gearbox..... Put in 4 sump plug washers over the cable (Ford sump washers ...the plastic ones) this will have the effect of moving the worn teeth on the plastic clutch quadrant to a different position thus letting new teeth grab the adjuster..... but be warned.... it is only putting off the evil hour...should last a few weeks / months.........Trade the little bas***d in.

JK

Reply to
JK

If it is the auto adjuster, spend a fiver and an hour and get it fixed, I've done this job on an escort MK4 and it wasn't too difficult. I didn't do this on a Fiesta Mk2 (I think) and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Reply to
Lee