What kind of clutch problem is this?

My 95 Geo/Prizm's clutch has such a problem: at zero speed (full stop), if I put into the first gear, I have to lift my left foot VERY slowly (slower than normal) to let the clutch engage; otherwise the clutch/car trembles. Once the car is on the road, putting into 3rd-5th gears has no problem at all. Does this mean the clutch is worn and a new one is needed? But I roughly remeber I heard if the clutch is worn, the car can't go high speed because the clutch is unable to engage with higher gears. My case seems the opposite. Can anyone instruct me what's going on with my car's clutch? By the way, the car has 88k milage now and I only drive locally. Thanks in advance for any information.---Yuan

Reply to
aamixy

"aamixy" wrote (95 Geo/Prizm 88k )

From a full stop in first gear, I have to lift my clutch foot VERY slowly to let the clutch engage, otherwise the clutch/car trembles. Once on the road, putting it into 3rd-5th gears is no problem. Does this mean the clutch is worn and a new one is needed? ___________________________________________

It would be slipping if it was worn. It is possible that the car trembles at all shifts but it is more noticeable under the higher first gear torque. Some causes:

Broken motor mounts let engine jump. Loose Engine-to-trans bolts let trans jump. Dry U-Joints cause trans to jump. Chemicals on clutch plate cause clutch to chatter.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

If you have an oil leak from the valve cover, that can cause clutch chatter. So can a bad engine or tranny mount.

The clutch should be fine either way though.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
aamixy

Reply to
aamixy

Sounds like you may have a (oil soaked) clutch disc issue that's about to happen! Notice any oily substance on your driveway? Perhaps is a leaky main seal or something oily leaking above and onto engine?!?

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

I wouldn't bother. It costs the same as putting a new clutch in.

I would just fix the leak. The judder will then go away if that is the cause. A valve cover leak is not hard to repair. Lots of times the bolts are just loose on it and can easily just be tightened down a 'little'.

More likely you have a mount gone bad. How bad does it judder when going into reverse?

Mike

aamixy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
aamixy

Hi Mike,

Would you let me know what valve cover your referred to? And what bolts or mount? I meant bolts and mount for which mechanical part? Thanks a lot.

Yuan

Reply to
aamixy

The clutch judder in 1st can be cause by a broken engine mount. They have rubber parts that tear with age and need replacing. There is usually 2 of them plus a mount near the transmission. The transmission mount would be the one I would look at first.

The valve cover is on top of the engine and is held in with bolts around it's rim. If it leaks, the engine will have oil all over the place.

If you have an oil leak bad enough to mess up the clutch, you 'will' have oil drips in the driveway. Do you have these drips? If not, then you shouldn't have to worry about needing an expensive fix like changing the clutch.

Fixing a mount is relatively cheap.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks, Mike. I didn't see oil drips along my driveway. And for rear shift, the clutch behaves a little silimar to the 1st gear, except that the car trembles much less (I can still feel it, though). I also check the engin. It is fairly dry without oil all over the place.

Yuan

Mike Roma> The clutch judder in 1st can be cause by a broken engine mount. They

Reply to
aamixy