Imobiliser ? KEYPAD!!

Hi,

A friend has a fiat, He says that his imobiliser works by everytime u want to start the car you have to enter a pin number into the keypad is this right or is he talking crap.

It seems a right pain to have to enter a number into your car everytime you want to go somewhere, The only imobiliser ive ever seen is with a chip in the key but then ive only ever had renaults and fords.

Many Thanks

Richard Jones

Reply to
Richard Jones

He's probably not talking crap - I've seen a few of them around.

My mate's mum has got one - apparently the four numbers making up her PIN have had their numerals rubbed off over the years thus fundamentally reducing the security somewhat!

Mat

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

I had a Peugeot 406 with a similar system, but you could put it into an alternative mode where the code was only needed if you didn't start the engine within about 2 mins of unlocking the doors.

Reply to
TTT

That's correct.

I assume this is a Fiat Ulysee? - that's something it inherited from it's Peugeot / Citroen sister car, as it's not the usual way for Fiat to immobilise a car.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah its that heap of junk

I couldnt imagine putting a code in every time u want to fire the car up!

I wouldnt believe him to start with, looks like i owe him a pint doesnt it!

LOL Richard.

Reply to
Richard Jones

Richard Jones ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Most 90s Peugeot-Citroen cars - like your mate's Ulysse - did that.

It takes a fraction of a second. Get it, put key in, turn half way, put belt on, while right hand's down at the console, flip the keypad lid up, tap number in, shut lid, start engine.

It's FAR better security than most immobilisers. If it's good enough for the credit card companies to (finally) be moving to it...

Which is fine until some bastard nicks your keys. With a PIN number, even with the keys left in it, it's staying put unless they have a spare ignition/injection ECU.

I can't figure out why it died out in favour of such a blatantly inferior system.

Apart from the terminally idle who bypass it or always use the same code so the numbers rub off the "right" buttons...

Reply to
Adrian

My mate had this system as an aftermarket system installed in his Saxo. I asked him what happens if you enter the code incorrectly and he replied by saying that it locks you out.

What happens then? Do you have to wait so long before you can re-try or does the system need to be re-programmed?

Stephen.

Reply to
StephenH

Surely it need only lock you out for 10 seconds or so? Assuming 10 numbers to pick and a 4 digit code, you've got 10000 possible combinations. You'd be there a while trying to brute force it with that, but it wouldn't be hugely inconvenient to the bloke who owns the car but's put in the wrong code.

Reply to
Doki

The PSA keypad system (which as you say is also fitted to the Fiat Ulysse - which is a Peugeot 806 by another name) is designed so that it can be disabled. In the vehicle handbook is instructions on how to put the vehicle into 'Service Mode' or 'Factory Mode'. This is intended do disable the keypad rather than give anyone your PIN. In this mode it is not neccesary to use the keypad - which can safely be disconnected once the system is put into 'Service Mode'. The exact procedure varies from vehicle to vehicle but will be described in the handbook. Regards

Reply to
Mike

You think that's a pain? My old Honda Prelude had an aftermarket immobiliser where you had to flick your head lights on and off three times. The funny looks from people who thought you were flashing at them probably wouldn't have been so frequent if it hadn't been for the flip-up lights!

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds