window tints

Is there some wonder stuff available that I can use to give a slight tint to the window glass (in a metro which has plain glass all 'round). I can't really afford the time trouble or money to actually replace the glass itself. If there is somethong available, I appreciate hearing from anyone who's used it - does it last, is it easy to apply? Thanks.

Reply to
max

Max,

just be careful if you intend to apply any tint to the windscreen or drivers or passengers front windows as these are covered by the strict tinting legislation. A brief summary is 75% of light has to pass into the car from the windscreen and 70% on the other above mentioned glass (forward of the shoulder of the driver). My mondeo front side windows are standard factory fitted and are already on 79% so it would not be worth putting any thing on. the people who fit these tints will tell you a load of cobblers about how theirs is legal just to sell the product. The police and VOSA are clamping down on it now.

Reply to
jamie8

Get yourself a pair of suglasses from the £1 shop. This would be much cheaper and and will look just as 'cool', especially through your plain glass (on second thoughts, maybe not in a Metro). Try painting your brake calipers & drums bright red and think about fitting LED lights on your washer jets. :-)

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

You can get spray cans of window tint but who knows how even a finish you could expect to get?

Your DIY shop may stock some different coloured tints designed for craft and stained glass effects, maybe you could create a mobile cathedral kind of effect?? Won't get you on the cover of M.Power but possibly in 'Church Times'.

Reply to
Mark W

The message from "Mark W" contains these words:

Easiest would be to get a VdP Metro from the breakers and swap the glass over. Neater and far more durable. Also sure to be legal 'cos the glass tint is type approved.

Reply to
Guy King

use whitewash - the sort used on greenhouses

Reply to
Tom Artoh

Ok - maybe I ought to have said that the reason I want to do this is that I tend to get headaches screwing up my eyes in bright daylight. I do have a 50p pair of sunglasses and that works ok but is not very convenient. It's not because I want or look cool or anything.

Reply to
max

Try sunglasses with polarised lenses. Not only is direct glare reduced, as with other tinted lenses, but dazzle from reflections on horizontal surfaces is practically eliminated.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

IMO, a legal tint will do very little to cut down serious amounts of light. You're still getting 75% through the front screen.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I would second this. I used to get bad headaches when driving on bright days with ordinary sunglasses for any length of time. With the polarised ones I get no ill effects at all.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds