In Car Freezer

Hi,

Are there any 12v in car freezers available that would run from cigarette lighter type outlet?

Planning a driving holiday in a few months, have a young baby and want to take the home made baby food with us (make it every few weeks then freeze it).

Cheers,

Lee.

Reply to
Lee B

Google for 12 volt freezer produced several good sites

Some 12 volt 240 and Gas combined specify that 12 volt is not cigarette lighter socket

Have used cigarette lighter socket for coolbox in the past but never certain if connection is proper throughout the journey. Put in a proper 2 pin plug and socket instead to be sure

I guess that the problem will be how to keep the temperature down when engine is switched off overnight

prices appear to be about 350ukp 650ukp

Cheaper to take bought baby food or buy day to day

Tony

Reply to
TMC

They tend to be quite power hungry, I wouldn't run one from the main car battery.

Reply to
Depresion

"Depresion" wrote in news:oN4Ie.23042$bT4.1562@newsfe1- gui.ntli.net:

Agreed, I wouldn't have thought the cigarette lighter supply can provide enough juice to drive a freezer sized compressor. Fridges are OK, though.

Reply to
Stu

A caravan fridge will eat your battery in a few hours if your engine is not running, a long stop at a service station would be enough to flatten a car battery. I imagine a freezer would need a lot more power and would drain the battery in double quick time.

Reply to
pb

The message from pb contains these words:

Of course, you can always wire it up using the same system that caravans use to power the grey socket so it doesn't draw power when the engine's off.

Reply to
Guy King

Gets the inside of the car nice and toasty too i presume

Reply to
barry

No problems there are plenty of chiller boxes about forget the reservations about compressors the boxes use a solid state heat pump - provided your battery is in good nick motorway breaks are not a problem and you should get a mains lead for longer breaks expect to pay around £45 for a 2 cu ft or a 6pack size for about half that - they are pretty good down to about -5 C we use one for the 100mls down to Wales the frozen stuff (steaks etc) is nice an hard when we land look for one with an operating led to tell you all is well ..er one other thing make sure your lighter socket is still live when the ignition is off- not all are!and . Be sure to check the spec before you buy as not all go down to subzero levels Derek

Reply to
Derek

reservations

duration of a driving holiday not a cooler to keep food from defrosting over a 100mile journey. Putting the frozen food in a cooler bag with a couple of ice packs would keep it frozen for longer than the journey you describe

Having the freezer running whilst the car is not will drain the battery sufficiently within a couple of hours to cause starting problems. I was once caught behind someone one a cross channel ferry who had left the fridge switched on for the crossing and then could not start the car

I fail to see how an LED helps whilst you are driving along and the coolbox is in the boot

Cigarette lighter sockets are not the most reliable of connections for long journeys either

But then I have only used a 12volt fridge in the car for about 12,000 miles of touring holidays in France over several summers.

Tony

Reply to
TMC

When the ambient temperature gets above 15-20C your setup is going to be bugger all use for freezing.

With that in mind I suppose in Wales you'd be okay!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton