'99 Camry Electrical Problem - Extra Dash Power Outlet - Still out

Several months ago, using an inexpensive 12V plug-in inflator in the extra dashboard power outlet the inflator shorted out. I didn't immediately notice that the dash power outlet I'd used, below the cigarette lighter, went dead too.

I've pulled and checked the specific dash 15V fuse with a meter. It tested fine. With the ignition on I checked the cigarette lighter and got 12V, when I tested the power outlet there was no response. I also tried a known good (tested) power cable plugged into the power outlet but there was no meter response.

On visual exam I noticed that the center contact of the power outlet wasn't very substantial; also that the adapter cylindrical shell pulled about half way out of the housing, almost like it was designed to extend half way out. Perhaps an open circuit at the outlet?

Is there any type of fusible link between the adapter and the fuse? How big a deal is it to change out the outlet unit? Do these units simply rotate and pull out or is it necessary to disassembly part of the dash board?

Any additional troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.While this power outlet looks like a cigarette lighter, neither it nor the cigarette lighter receptacle been used to light cigarettes.

As an interim fix I'll use the home made alligator clip cable I made for my non-lighter receptacle '89 Toyota truck that did the job for 17+ years and take auxiliary power directly from the battery.

Been burned by Murphy's Law too many too many times in the past ... all things being in your favor,,,,

Reply to
R.E.Pasco

The Power Outlet has a 15 amp fuse located in the same panel as Cig Lighter. This fuse is right above the 7.5 amp OBD fuse.

Reply to
toyomoho

I've pulled that specific fuse and others. Visual exam was fine, also showed continuity on meter. Any place else to check? Would the outlet have some type of fusible link close to the outlet. Ease of removal?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
R.E.Pasco