inside of Saxo windscreen freezing up

I'm having problems with the inside of my windscreen freezing up. Depending on the weather it sometimes is either very very wet with condensation which is hard to dry clear without smearing, or if it is icy cold outside, the inside of the windscreen is as badly frozen on the inside as it is outside. I have a Citroen Saxo Desire 5-door with no air conditioning or any basic heating. I can't find any wet or damp patches anywhere in the car. Any ideas?

Reply to
laura1979

You have a Saxo with no heater?

Reply to
Doki

The message from "laura1979" contains these words:

Is there a "Fresh/recirculate" lever? If so - check it's on Fresh.

Reply to
Guy King

I have the same problem with my punto, all i can put it down to is that on occasion i've been known to smoke whilst driving and, over the years, the grotty stuff from the smoke sticks to the glass and causes the water in the air to condensate. I could be wrong, indeed if you are not a smoker it bears no relation.

Dan.

Reply to
Dan

The message from Guy King contains these words:

Talking of which, many moons ago I found a website with all the Euro-standard symbols for automotive switches and warning signs. Handy it was.

Anyone know where it was? I can't get a handle on it with google.

Reply to
Guy King

Maybe the screen has been fitted inside out ?

Reply to
sQuick

Open both front windows a crack with the heating on full blast, and check the air isn't set to recirculate.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Make sure your car is facing in the direction of the rising sun, if not, the moisture on the rear windscreen evaporates when the sun hits it then condenses on the stil-cold front windscreen.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

First thing (as mentioned in other posts) is the ventillation system set to recirculate?

Second check: does it have a pollen filter? If so, take it out. If the problem goes away, either buy a new one or leave it out if you don't get hayfever.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

It's not a good idea to run without a pollen filter for an extended period, especially if A/C is fitted. The dirt that would be clogging the filter ends up clogging the heating/cooling matrices instead.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Do you have rubber mats on top of the carpet, and if so is one of them damp underneath? I am investigating this problem on an Astra, and the carpets were barely damp but one mat had condensation. On investigating, between the carpet and the metal floor is a thick open cell sponge rubber with an impervious rubber layer bonded on top. The sponge was saturated (pints of water in one footwell) but hardly anything was getting through to the carpet. Cause still not identified, possibly a windscreen leak.

Reply to
Newshound

All the replies refer to heating. Burt you said you've got no heater. Correct or not?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What about all those cars with heaters/aircon and no pollen filter?

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for the ideas. I meant to say in my original post that I've got no air conditioning and only very basic heating. My car doesn't have a pollen filter or any "recirculate" options.

Reply to
laura1979

Water's getting in then. Sunroof drainpipes, door seals, possibly pollen filter (I doubt you have these in a Saxo). Someone could have ripped the door membranes out fitting speakers or central locking.

Reply to
Doki

What about them - Oh, I see what you mean :-)

They would have been designed with much larger gaps between the elements of the matrix, enabling all the crud and bugs to pass through in to the vehicle. Newer ones are "more efficient". (Translates as "cheaper").

My comment about not leaving the pollen filter out for an extended period of time was aimed at those driving cars with pollen filters...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Are you sure, I've not seen one without a recirculate option.

Reply to
Duncanwood