Is my Battery knackered ?

T-reg Micra 1.0..has been starting fine, had it around 1.5 months. Previous owner didnt use it much (28k miles since new), but im now using it on a daily basis. It has starting turning over slowly before starting.

The charging warning light on the dash stays off, so im assuming thats ok. I did bung a voltmeter over the battery last night and it read 11.5v.

Time for a new battery ?

Thanks for any suggestions Mike W.

Reply to
Mike Waters

Probably.

Reply to
Sean

Assuming that's with the engine stopped, it's showing a partially discharged or faulty battery. You could try an external charge, leave overnight and check the voltage again in the morning. It should be about

12.5 volts.

Also, to check the charging system, look at the voltage with the engine running. If the battery starts near fully charged, it should read around

13.8 - 14.2 volts.

However, if it's the original on a T reg, it's lasted well - anything more than 3 years is a bonus.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The message from "Mike Waters" contains these words:

Worth checking the voltage when the engine's running. Should be between

13 and 14 volts, just to ensure your alternator's working.
Reply to
Guy King

The batteries on micra's do last well it seems, ours is an L reg, had it from new, so i know 150% that it's the origional battery, it spent the first 7 years of it's life being used as a shopping trolley by my mum, did 30k miles in all that time, did need a new clutch at 28k mind :)

since then i've been using it, and she's now on about 70k miles, but still starts on the button on the origional battery.

Reply to
CampinGazz

got a T meself, oem batt. Any hints about replacements?

Reply to
Barry

I decided to get a replacement..starts lovely now..Thanks for your suggestions guys :o)

Mike W.

Reply to
Mike Waters

I'm afraid not. One at a good price with a 3 year warranty would seem as good as any.

There are some 'fancy' makes out there that imply they last longer than standard types, but none put their money where their mouth is with a longer warranty - indeed some makers price the same battery differently according to how long the warranty is...

Reply to
Dave Plowman