K11 Micra: ambient temp sensor

1996 Nissan Micra K11 type. Has always started OK. It has been stood for 7 days as I have been away on holiday. This morning it refused to start. The starter motor turned but the engine wouldn't catch. I tried a few 30 second bursts trying to start it. Any longer than this I feared would definitely drain the battery. I suspected a flat battery and called out Green Flag. A local garage recovery vehicle turned up and got it starting in less than 5 mins.

Turned out it was a flooded engine. Something I have easily fixed before a couple of times just by putting my foot to the floor and cranking. The recovery man cranked it for about 3 x 30 secs in a row, and also did a trick of removing the fuel pump fuse then cranking. It eventually spluttered into life, belching black smoke.

The recovery man blamed the "ambient temperature sensor". Only £10 from the Nissan dealer, he reckoned.

What are my strategies to prevent a recurrence of this? Get a new sensor fitted or if flooding reoccurs, just crank like hell at the risk of flattening the battery?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Hi Bruce

Why ask for further advice, you've already ignored what you've been given, did that answer not suit you?.

Reply to
Steve Sweet

What are you on about?

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Why not follow the advice of the recovery bloke? £10 is worth it, no?

Reply to
phiz