Micra engine flooding: restart techniques?

K11 Micra refused to start this morning. Flooded engine. It normally starts 1st time OK.

I tried the usual technique of flooring the accelerator, then crank for ages. It normally works but this time flattened the battery.

Called out Green Flag and they recharged the battery and got it restarted eventually using the same technique.

  • I have heard of a "fuel pump fuse" technique for getting flooded cars started. What exactly do I do? Remove fuse, crank (for how long) to get spent fuel out, replace fuse. Then, will it start normally.

  • The Green Flag man advised replcement of the spark plugs. He's got a point -- they have been in there for 50k miles! Will this clear up any engine flooding problems?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

If they haven't been at least gapped in 50k miles then, probably, yes.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Right, I'll get the spark plugs replaced next week. I would try National/KwikFit but they don't seem to do spark plugs as far as I can see.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Last time you used the car, did you simply start it, move a few feet, then switch off? - If so this is a common cause of flooding, or at least that's what the green flag man told my daughter a while back!

The fuse is removed to stop the flow of fuel - the usual technique does not work with these cars, because the system pressurises as soon as to turn on the ignition, even if the engine is not turning over. So the "old" method simply makes things worse!

All that he did in our case was to keep popping the fuse in and out while my daughter cranked the engine over, until it started.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Why the hell would you want to try there? Go to a real garage FFS, or better still, change them yourself!

Reply to
SimonJ

For what it would cost you can get the plugs and a spanner and DIY it - it's probably one of the easiest jobs on the engine possible.

Reply to
Chris Street

Is this job recommended for a newbie ( I can change the air filter and top up coolant, but thats about it!)? I have heard horror stories of spark plugs shearing off or being cross-threaded during replacement. Also, the plugs in the Micra are recessed deep in the block -- do I need a special tool?

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

The Micra is now flooding every morning. Seems it can't handle a rich mix. I had to use this technique this morning. Remove the fuse, then crank for about 90 secs! Eventually got it going. Hope new plugs sorts this out, I can't face that every morning.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Contrary to popular belief they can be a bit of a pig to change on some engines, especially if you get a very tight plug or they're recessed as yours are, or if you don't know that the leads *must* go back in the same place etc..

If you don't feel confident then buy some new plugs and take them, and the car, to a small local garage. They will change them for very little money and it won't take long.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks, Si. My mate at work reckons Micras are "plug-sensitive" and that I *must* fit NGK plugs. Do they sell these at Halfords? Or will I need a Nissan main dealer?

Thanks again. Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Rubbish.You'll find most motorist shops stock NGK anyway.

Reply to
Conor

If yours is the 1.0 or 1.3 K11 engine then according to Autodata they can be fitted with NGK BKR5E - 11 (or Bosh FR7DCX). The gap is 1.1mm but the NGK plugs should already be preset to 1.1mm (hence the -11 after the BKR5E). If your engine is the 1.4 it recommends Bosh FR8DCX.

Reply to
John

BKR5E-11. That ties in with what I've found.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Has it had the modded air temp sensor + wiring loom retro-fit?? If not, start with that.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

No. That sounds like an expensive main dealer job. Am I right? But would such a major retro-fit problem emerge after 80k miles of starting OK.

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

If you go to your local Halfords and ask at the service counter, they will look up the type of plugs you need. Also, ask them for a suitable plug spanner. Plugs for the Micra have a smaller diameter than plugs for other cars. You should be given a long box type spanner - if you want to buy one, that is. It would be useful to buy a Haynes manual for your car. The outlay for all this will probably be less than going to a garage and the spanner and manual will be there for future use.

Halfords claim that they will fit what you buy from them. It's worth asking if they would fit you plugs.

If you do the job yourself, do one plug at a time. DON'T pull all the plugs leads off at the same time or you're bound to get them mixed up.

Learning how to service your car can save you lots of money. I think all car owners should be able to change the plugs and air-filter as well as being able to do an oil change and check all fluids.

Reply to
Raymond

Once you've changed the plugs, put some Redex in the petrol tank and/or fill up with Optimax. Take it for a day at the seaside (or, if you live near the seaside, a day in the country. Basically a long trip somewhere). Also, when the engine is warm take off the air filter housing, change the air filter and give the throttle body air intake a good blast of carb cleaner (if you're not sure what the above bits are, invest in a workshop manual, it'll cost you less than half an hour's labour at the garage). Finally, when starting from cold, resist the temptation to use the accelerator - for the first couple of minutes, be very gentle with your right foot.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

They are sensitive to plug grade as a freind of mine found with his Micra that kept fouling up but if you buy the correct plugs for it there won't be a problem. NGK are probably the best plugs commonly available IMO - go to Halfords and look at their plug selection - they have handy flip chart thingies that let you cross reference the vehicle make, year and engine and tell you which one out of Bosch, NGK or Champion to pick.

Reply to
Chris Street

up with Optimax.<

Is that to clean any grunge from the injectors? I thought normal unleaded had detergent in it that did this. Same again this morning. Wouldn't start. After a couple of tries the engine was flooded. Had to pull the oil pump fuse and crank the kna*kers off it. Its booked in tomorrow for new plugs and a check-over of ignition components. Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Be careful not to burn out the starter motor with continuous cranking. About 10 secs should be max and then a break before you try again.

Reply to
John