'99 fiesta revs accelerate when in neutral

my fiesta has just developed a poblem that during long motorway journeys when I go into neutral the revs increase to varing figures then die away. when I push the clutch in the rev also seem to die but settle slightly higher than idle. could this be just a sticky throttle cable or something more sinister

TIA

Tracy

Reply to
Tracy Ramsden

A few things it can be on a fiesta (1) Power steering pressure sensor..... Sounds silly but this can make them rev high (2) Over-Run switch on the clutch pedal.... same as brake light switch.... this may not be fitted on all models (3) VSS (Vehicle speed sensor) Fitted at bottom of speedo where it enters the gearbox..... disconnect the multi-plug and see if it helps. (5) Air by pass valve.... fitted on induction manifold..... but this usually manifests itself with a stalling concern (6) 98-99 model...(especially 16v) needed re-mapping for running/idle concerns... but this would have been apparent from day 1. (7) I have fitted a few throttle bodies on those for fast run concerns too..... S/H = £50.... New = £180+

Good luck. JK

Reply to
JK

This is normal-ish of modern Ford's- the ECU isnt really calibrated to know what to do if your coasting with clutch down, so it holds the revs up- my focus will reach and hold 4000rpm under some circumstances of coasting! You shouldnt really coast anyway as you're not in full control of the vehicle...

Revs that drop to ~1000rpm until you reach a total stop are totally normal- this is designed to help prevent stalling.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

But that's a well known Focus problem, so you can ignore that in the "Big Picture" :-)

My Mondeo holds them at about 1100-1200 until you stop, then they drop to ~

950.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

maybe I wasn't too clear it will also do it when stopped in neutral without the clutch pedal depressed.

Reply to
Tracy Ramsden