Leak around aerial in Renault Megane

Got in the car this morning to find water dripping from the light consol above he rear view mirror (Renault Megane 1999). I've got a feeling it's coming in thru' where the aerial is attached to the front of the roof above the windscreen. Anybody know how easy this is to fix? I've not done anything yet, but I am assuming I can access the aerial by removing the light consol from the interior. Any ideas on how to stop the leak other than a few squirts of some silicon?

TIA

Reply to
John

I doubt it will be caused by rust in a '99 car, unless you park on the sea front. It's probably something that can be solved by tightening up the aerial's fitting nut. Have a look at the washer to see if it needs replacing.

Bathroom sealant will fix it, but won't look so good.

___

DP

If you find the nut loosen it off first and lift the aerial off, clean the area under it and stick a load of Silicone clear sealant in there and replace aerial, remove excess using a damp/moist finger and then fix the aerial to the roof tightly again, and if possible adjust the angle so its closer to the roof. if it points up to much the wind at motorway speeds can make the thing resonate and loosen the nuts a tiny bit. enuf for water ingress in my experience of Renaults :)

Reply to
Will

& don't use clear bathroom sealant, it's acidic & makes life worse.
Reply to
Duncan Wood