License validity question

The recent discussion in another posting about a tow bar affecting motor insurance prompted me to check the details on my renewal, now due.

I've held a full car license since sometime in October 1970 when I passed my test. I don't have the exact date, but my insurer has 1 October shown on his documentation.

However my paper driving license shows the "valid from" date as

28/05/1977 and that a previous license expired on the day before. I think at the time licenses needed to be renewed every 10 years, and I think I held a provisional motorcycle license since May 1967, and passed the motorcycle test sometime between October 1967 and summer 1968.

How relevant is this to the requirement for accuracy in the information provided to insurers?

Is it possible for me to find out exactly when I passed my test?

TIA

Reply to
Graham J

Yes, try here.

Adrian Caspersz

No, that only says when the curent license is valid from, not the date that I passed my test.

Reply to
Graham J

Have a look at the page that lists dates for each vehicle class (2nd tab).

It's the same into as printed on the rear of a photocard licence (which also gives the earliest date).

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Mine is not a photocard - it is paper. It shows a start date of

28/05/1977 and refers to a previous licence expiring 27/05/1977. I think I passed my test in October 1970 but would like to find official confirmation of this.

Second tab shows Group A and Group D - but there is no date information shown.

Reply to
Graham J

Um, I don't think so. Have you not moved house since passing your test? Maybe the new "valid from" and expiration date arose from a change of address.

Many don't ask for exact dates, just an approximate "longer than" time.

Ask you mum. They remember stuff like this. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I think you face a big problem.

DVLA can't help you. DVLA only ever had details of tests from the 1990s when DSA (now DVSA) took over testing. And DVLA didn't even begin issuing licences until 1973. Before that the "red book" licences were issued by councils. I don't know if the council kept records but if so those records didn't go to DVLA. DVLA recorded entitlements but AIUI not the date of the test(s) passed. (Bear in mind computer storage in those days cost real money so you didn't capture data which wasn't needed.)

I don't know if DVSA have records inherited records by DSA from the system in Swansea but I doubt it very much. The licence is meant to be the authoritative evidence.

Reply to
Robin

A big problem finding the exact date, a "non-problem" as far as insurance is concerned.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I last moved house in April 1978, and several times in the period from

1970 to 1978.

Strangely, the current renewal quotation increases by £20 if I show the date on the licence (1977) rather than the date I know I passed my test (1970). Obviously I'm looking elsewhere.

The poor dear is 96 and doesn't remember very much at all now. Not sure her word would carry any weight with the insurance people.

Reply to
Graham J

DVLA were known for "losing" entitlements when licences were renewed or when a replacement licence was needed when changing address or adding new entitlements. People were urged to photocopy their licence before sending it off, and more so for those who passed tests before much of the system was computerised.

As you had to send in your paper pass certificate in the "old" days, you are of course stuck if a group vanishes off your licence.

The "validity from" would normally have come from adding a new group as a result of passing a test. A group entitlement is valid from the day you passed the test for that group.

Reply to
Steve

Steve formulated on Tuesday :

Mine shows the date when my licence was replaced in 1979, after the previous one expired. I didn't gain any new groups then, or in the previous 15 or more years. The paper one I am using now, shows it is the 07th issue, I assume since the 1979 issue and due to address changes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

OP here - mine says issue number 63 which seems odd since it would only have been reprinted 4 times for the endorsements I received between passing the test in 1970 and the "valid from" date of 28/05/1977 - which must have been about the time of moving to my current address.

Reply to
Graham J