Re: When will people get their facts straight?

Seth,

Thanks for posting that link. 3k for a freaking headlight. I think my Bentley manual is far too long, but a 1,000,000 (say like Dr Evil) pages is astounding. I guess "ease of Maintenance" is one thing, but "Cost of Maintenance" is another thing altogether. Taking my bug to the shop when I can't do it myself looks like a bargain. - DB

Reply to
DB

> think the Beetle is cool for the wrong reasons - like ease of maintenance,

This link has been floating around the net today. I think "ease of maintenance" is an issue of relativity. ;)

Seth Graham

Well Bob I can't really argue with you. But I do know that a basic well-tuned stock beetle gets better gas mileage than many mid-size or bigger SUV's and PU's (many of which can't crack 20 mpg). I also know that it certainly feels better knowing that I throw in under $20 a tank compared to some SUV's where that tankful can run over $50 (at today's prices).

Part of this is psychological too. I feel a whole lot more independent being able to work on my bug, even if it is just an oil change, valve adjustment and other routine maintenance at this point. I missed that as I used to do basic maintenence while in college. My wife's recent model Accord is another thing altogether. The scheduled maintenance (and their costs) just makes me shake my head.

I guess my point is that while a Beetle is old and dated, how many other cars of its vintage are still in regular use in any sizeable numbers in the US. Yep, driving one certainly has it drawbacks, but it also has many advantages too, like costs savings through purchase price and insurance costs. - DB

Reply to
DB

Driven a Ford lately?

Reply to
jjs

To All:

You can eliminate the need for tune-ups and thereby reduce a major portion of the required-maintenance budget but you'll even reduced to the chassis-specific chores you're still looking at about 5x the maintenance man-hours needed by a modern vehicle. That's simply the nature of antiques.

There isn't much you can do about the fuel efficiency. Any modern water-cooled engine using EFI and a combustion-management computer will make even the best-tuned air-cooled VW look like a gas guzzler. If fuel cost is a major factor you might consider an engine of smaller displacement.

The handling thing is a bad rap. With the chassis properly tuned and running the right tires, the 4-joint VW still handles better than most cars in its weight class. However, it will not do so at speed, due to the shape of the body. Anything over 100mph, you're liable to lose it due to aerodynamic forces unloading your suspension. If you want to cruise at two miles per minute it would be best to begin with a KG... or a Corvair :-)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

JJS reminisced "My, that's a right proper Scottish build" I'm in my 40's and have never before come across that one ;)

"race was whatever the hell society wanted to make it" Where else outside the US do you see the term Hispanic used?

But I digress too much from ACVW

-DB

Reply to
DB

What a bunch of baloney. I have a frequently visited relative 110 miles up the road. I can go up there and back on one tank of gas in _either_ my Bug or my 4WD GMC Full-Ton 'burban. :)

Here, here! I opened the hood of a Mitzibishiamahaondaru the other day and couldn't identify a single part!

Reply to
jjs

How many gallons it take to fill that 'burban?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Nice to see that someone 'gets it'. :) Answer: 40 gallons. I don't drive the monster because we moved out of the country where we really needed it. Besides, I got tired of making truck payments at the gas station.

Reply to
jjs

Mileage is mileage. Doesn't matter (to me) what size engine (or vehicle) it is. I see no difference in comparing a little puny 25/36/40 hp VW getting

20+, with some refreshed, well-tuned in that HPrange cracking 30 mpg (as long as we aren't talking uphill). Is a 2004 engine more efficient on an inch per inch basis, sure but 20 mpg is still 20 mpg to me. I see no difference in making this comparison with say a Honda Civic (regular gas model) and some SUV who cares should the SUV on an inch per inch basis be more efficient, all I know is a Civic certainly gets a lot more than 20 mpg. I could make the same comparison using a Fiat500, 2CV, Honda Insight, or that whacked-out experimental VW 1-litre they all get much better gas mileage than your average mid plus SUV. and they are called Cohibas ;) -DB
Reply to
DB

I actually find maintaining my VWs therapeutic.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Lemme see if I got this right: You're comparing an 1800lb vehicle fitted with a 96cid engine to a 6000lb vehicle with a 450cid engine?

You better stop smoking those funny smelling cigarettes.

Reply to
Veeduber

I know a professional diver. He drives a huge PU with dualies and a bed that carries a crane, compressors, all the stuff a diver needs and pulls a

40' aluminum boat. It's a diesel. He gets about the same mileage a poorly tuned VW Bug gets. He'd get the same mileage if he were towing five Bugs.
Reply to
jjs

Puppy.

Reply to
jjs

.............A 40 foot long dive boat on a trailer? Does he do salvage work in the North Atlantic?................John, have you been letting those bean sprouts & funny looking mushrooms ferment too long again?

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

...............I need therapy but my parts are on order.

.........sigh

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Why not go in style? Besides, the Mississippi up here is miles wide. I kid you not. Look up Lake City, Minnesota.

Reply to
jjs

I have an electronic version of the shop manual for my Nissan Xterra. It weighs in at a fairly hefty 2,720 pages. The top three chapters, page-count wise are:

Engine Control System - 1198 pages Automatic Transmission - 342 pages Electrical System - 268 pages

Fortunately, at 67k miles, all I've had to do is change fluids, battery, brake pads, tires and a rogue power window switch panel.

The most esoteric part of the vehicle, thusfar, has been trying to find GL-4 gear lube for the manual tranny. Otherwise, it's a pretty simple solid axle body-on-frame truck chassis with nothing really odd-ball like side curtain airbags, HID lighting and so forth. Knock on wood it'll be reliable for many more tens (or hopefully hundreds) of thousands of miles. I can't imagine owning some high-dollar SUV like a Lexus, Escalade, Denali or the like.

Reply to
Malcolm

NAPA is the only source I've yet found.

Reply to
matthew j henschel

"For example, the world's bestselling vehicle, Ford's F150 pickup, uses a magnesium radiator mount - which gets crunched every time an F150 runs into anything. Magnesium is strong and light, but brittle"

Errr... when did the F-150 become the worlds bestselling vehicle???

maintenance,

Reply to
Allan Williams