life of airbags?

According to the autombile associations in Australia, there is no known example there of an airbag failing in an old car. There are plenty of cars over

15 years old on the road, and some say the airbag may not be dependable at this age. Issues include: failure of electronics, the bag becoming weaker, and the explosive losing its strength with age. Replacing the airbag may not be feasible in old cars. The manufacturers are only required to provide parts for X years after model ends. But if an old car has a crash that triggered airbags, the insurance company would probably write it off, so keeping up a supply of replacement airbag components beyond statutory period seems unlikely.

So I am curious if in the larger markets of Europe or America, are there cases when say a 20-YO Volvo hit a tree, and the airbag did not go pop?

Reply to
bruce56

FWIW, when they first started fitting them I remember manufacturers saying that they had a 10 year lifespan and should then be replaced.

I imagine there are many old airbags that don't go off and many that do. Since the number deployed is such a small %age of airbags in use, I doubt there's any useful stats that can be extracted.

Reply to
Scott M

& Audi & BMW have both extended the 10 year limit, I suspect everyone else has.
Reply to
Duncan Wood