(Long) Tale of woe: BMW was a mess :-(

[...]

I believe they are all within a percent or so of 50/50 weight distribution. Being shorter the V8 sits a bit further back...

I have no real experience of any I6 E39 but my 4.6 V8 feels very well balanced and nimble and has accurate and communicative steering; if the I6s are an improvement they are starting from a very high baseline.

Some must be the motor, but some is down to the gearbox, brakes, diff(?) and perhaps extra standard equipment...

...I guess. :)

Alistair J Murray

Stu ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Assuming you mean "don't know *how* the layout works"...

If the car's basically FWD (such as a N-S Audi) :- The normal FWD diff passes the drive out the side to the front wheels. A prop shaft takes it out the back to a rear diff.

If the car's basically RWD (such as Sierra 4x4) :- Off the back of the normal box is a transfer box. One propshaft goes back, the other forwards to a diff and driveshafts. It's not often offset to clear the engine, and it's not unusual for one driveshaft to pass through the sump.

Reply to
Adrian
[...]

According to BMWworld the M62 V8 is ~40kg heavier than the M52 I6...

Alistair J Murray

Alistair J Murray wrote in news:il1ks2-vok.ln1 @florin.fluffy:

That all? I must have been looking at incorrect data, then. Either a 528 or a 535 will do nicely, then :-)

TBH, my quest is beginning to look dubious. I'm only allowed to get an E39 now, and a good 528 or above for less than £4000 seems pretty rare. Also, if I can't get the desired price for my car, then the cost to change will be too great.

With this in mind, I've had to start considering cheaper alternatives. That means back to the SAABs or an S70 T5. No RWD but plenty of power, especially the T5, and excellent torque from the turbo. Trouble is finding one - there's a T5 quite nearby with

Reply to
Stu

Why not a 525 E39? Less desirable than a 528 certainly, but that might give you a better chance of finding an E39 within your budget. The difference in performance is not that great. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" wrote in news:42f79e8a$0$17502$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader04.plus.net:

Wasn't the E39 525 introduced after 1998? This would put it out of my price range. There's the 170bhp 523, but I wouldn't expect a significant performance gain over the Primera, unless there's some way to undo the de- tuning, IYSWIM (it is a de-tuned 2.5l M50 engine, right?).

The main purpose of changing is for increased performance. Comfort and good driving characteristics are a joint second priority. I couldn't really choose one over the other, but I do want the car to be competent in both departments. My Primera has excellent handling, but the ride is rather harsh at low speeds and it's quite noisy at higher speeds. Ideally, I'd like a more balanced trade off between handling and comfort. But power is the main priority, because that's where I'll get the most enjoyment :-) With that in mind, I think the T5 is worth considering.

Reply to
Stu

Sorry, my mistake. I was forgetting the 2.5 Litre engine in the early E39's was designated as the 523, with reduced hp.

but I wouldn't expect a significant

M52 engine. The 528 has the M52TU engine, double VANOS. I don't know offhand why the 523 had less power. Torque seems quite good though. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

"Mike G" wrote in news:42f7c0cf$0$1282$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

I think double vanos is only post '98 too. Think the 523 was detuned to create a niche for the 528. Performance would have been too similar otherwise. I've heard that the 528 itself is detuned to comply with a lower German insurance category. Cars over 192bhp go into a higher category in Germany. Apparently, the engine is capable of quite a bit more.

Reply to
Stu

[...]

The whole car may well weigh ~100kg more, it's just not /all/ down to the motor...

How rigid is the E34 ban?

An E34 540i offers maximum bang for yer buck... :)

286bhp of V8 goodness.

T5s seem to be fairly safe s/h buys and apparently not too bad at getting the power down...

Alistair J Murray

Alistair J Murray wrote in news:dh0ls2-9s2.ln1 @florin.fluffy:

Pretty rigid, as are most rules where SWMBO is concerned :-)

Mmmmmm.....286bhp V8 :-) Spaceship miles, bet that phots disguises a few battle scars. Interior looks in good nick, though.

Always fancied one, long before you guys got me hankering after a BM. My time will come though, this would make a great stop-gap. Crossing everything that it's a good 'un. Off to look at it tommorrow evening - York is only about 45mins ride away.

Was hoping for some turbo specific advice because it's the one mechanical thing I'm a bit worried about. No autobox to keep me awake at night, though :-)

Reply to
Stu

Is it a turbo? Doesn't say in the ad. I thaught only the 2.3 in the AWD T5 had a turbo.

Turbo's are OK. As long as you look after them, they're capable of very high mileages without problems. You can't treat most cars with a turbo, the same as those without. They must be allowed to cool down with the engine running to keep the oil circulating. Switching off when very hot is the quickest way to knacker the bearings. Can be inconvenient sometimes if you're in a hurry. My Celica GT4 turbo has a turbo timer fitted, but I still have to wait, because it interferes with the CAT1 alarm. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

[...]

Would meeting and driving one change her mind..?

The mileage is not necessarily excessive and it does keep the price down.

That's the same drivetrain as my E38 had and it's full of snorty goodness!

[...2nd best cars...]

Several of my friends have 850s, but not T5s - they seem fairly bulletproof and really durable and perfectly pleasant to drive...

The LPTs seem to last forever as does the autobox, in fact nothing seems particularly prone to breaking except, just maybe, CV joints - two of the cars I know needed them, but at ~120k there's no real complaint.

Alistair J Murray

"Mike G" wrote in news:42f7ecfe$0$1218$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net:

Oh yes...240bhp and 330Nm of torque. The same model as used by the police. In fact, a lot of the ones for sale are white ex-police ones.

I know about the switching off thing. How about signs of wear? Do I just listen for whine and look for smoke on overrun?

Reply to
Stu

Alistair J Murray wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@florin.fluffy:

Very much doubt it. She thinks the shape is outdated :-( I can see where she's coming from, but personally I thik the styling of old BMWs is timeless.

E38?

[but nice & powerful]

Good stuff :-)

A CV joint, I can live with. Would rather not have a blown turbo though. I'll just be listening for whine and watching for smoke on overrun. If I get it, I'll feed it nothing but fully synthetic, of course :-)

Reply to
Stu

I didn't know that. I would have thaught the ad would have mentioned it, if

2.3 models are available without a turbo.

Difficult without dismantling. Smoke on the overrun can also indicate worn valve guides. As a buyer though, either would be reason enough for me to walk away. You could look at the air filter. Oil on that could indicate the turbo bearings and seals are failing. Noise is not a very good guide IME. A failing turbo can be as quiet as one in perfect condition. As well as that, in the early stages of bearing or seal failure, a turbo could still be functioning reasonably well. That is until the vanes start start disintegrating. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Who will use it most and do most of the driving? :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

[...E34...]

If she has any keenness as a driver a wee shottie of a 540 *should* convince her...

...and she can't see the outside sat in the Lux Interior. :)

740i

Remarkably go-kart like for something so huge, but not as nimble as a 5...

...nor as expensive now. Stunning looking cars, especially on 18" multispokes.

True. :)

[...]

None are petrohead owned...

...however Tim S Kemp seems to drive his ovloVs with gusto.

Alistair J Murray

Ask her if she'd be happy if you traded her in for a newer model because her shape was outdated?

I'm with you on this one - I think the classic twin-headlamp look of BMWs up to the E32/34/36 is timeless, and a great look.

7-series, from about 93/94 right up until it was replaced by the current model.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

"Mike G" wrote in news:42f877b2$0$1286$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

No, the 2.3 engine is exclusive to the high performace T5 model. The other engines are of similar design but with different capacities (2.0 and 2.4) and higher compression ratio. The T5 has 4 valves per cylinder, some have only two. It's all alloy but I presume it uses hard liners, because I haven't heard a mention of Nikasil or any premature wear issues at all. General concensus is that it's tough and long-lasting.

Guess I just watch out for what I can and take my chances, then :-)

Reply to
Stu

"Mike G" wrote in news:42f87955$0$1289$ed2619ec@ptn- nntp-reader02.plus.net:

9s2.ln1

You miss the point, Mike. She's a woman, reason won't prevail here :-)

Reply to
Stu