LSD

My car manual states that it has a limited slip differential (and it doesn't say 'only on certain models' either - although early Japanese versions had LSD as an option). Now, it's my understanding that to check this you can simple jack up both the driven wheels and with the car in gear then rotate by hand one wheel and the other should turn in the same direction, if it turns the opposite way then it a standard diff.

Well, my wheels turn in opposite directions when one is turned. So my question is this: are there different types of limited slip differential that would give different results doing this test? Is there such a thing as electronic LSD (although surely this would be more like traction control?) ?

I did purchase the car 2nd hand, but I doubt the gearbox had been broke and replaced with a non-lsd one as it'd done less that 20K miles (although the previous owner was a woman so you never know...;o) ).

Sorry, I realise it's not exactly a maintenance question, but it's to do with the mechanics of the car. TIA, John.

Reply to
Johnny

Get on some wet tarmac somewhere quiet and see ;).

Reply to
Doki

Am I right in thinking that if it has LSD then I should only ever be able to spin one of the wheels and not both?

Reply to
Johnny

No. With LSD both should spin.

Reply to
Conor

don't have it in gear, just turn one wheel, the other should turn the same way, if it is in gear then the differential will turn the other wheel the opposite direction

Reply to
MrCheerful

Most LSD's don't lock up at very low torques, what's the car?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

differential

it does on an xr4x4

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

That involves jacking up a lot of wheels though :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Is you sure? It was a couple of weeks ago I did it, and if I remember rightly with the car not in gear and turn one wheel then only that wheel moves - the other doesn't move either way.

Reply to
Johnny

differential

It's a 1999 UK Toyota MR2 mk2 (not the newer roadster).

Reply to
Johnny

definitely, out of gear, turn a wheel, the other moves the same way.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

must admit I have a two post lift, doing this on an xr4x4 takes a lot of effort as turning one rear wheel turns the other wheel plus the propshaft which turns the second lsd which turns the front diff which then turns one of the front wheels (no front lsd) The combined drag of three disc braked wheels , two props (one two-piece) and three differentials plus gearbox drag means that it feels like there is a serious fault. Good one for a newby MoT tester as well !!!

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Do they get away without the brake roller test? I had one and don't remember if they did or didnt

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, they use the tilting thing on the floor and a road test. They don't like the risk to the rollers or the car's lsds.

This applies to all 4x4 vehicles afaik.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

most garages have a device which measures your deceleration it's a box with a needle onit that tells you how much the brakes work drive down the road and stamp on the brakes get a reading drive down the road and pull the handbrake up get a reading as long as it feels as if it's doing osmething then there won't be a prolem but brake rollers aren't adviaseable for anything with permanat 4wd

Reply to
dojj

I suspect that the thickness of the oil (i.e. caused by a change in temperature on any given day) might affect what you actually get with this test.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

If it's in neutral then you'd expect them to turn the same way, esp. if you turn the wheel quickly, if it's in gear then they'll still turn in the opposite direction.

Reply to
Duncan Wood