Mazda or Vauxhall?

OK, from a serious home mechanic perspective ( I keep cars around 10 yrs and they only ever see a garage for an MOT ) which would you advise interms of reliability, spares costs and ease of work:

Mazda 6 TS2 or Vectra 2.2 Design ( Both petrol )

OR justify a similar size / spec =A38K choice.

Cheers

Reply to
IanDTurner

Mazda 6 TS2 or Vectra 2.2 Design ( Both petrol )

OR justify a similar size / spec £8K choice.

Cheers

Having read many reliability ratings over the years in various magazines, consumer reports etc. I think it's safe to say Mazda are up there with the most reliable cars, Vauxhalls are average at best but better than a French car for instance. Spares prices you could work out for yourself on car spares websites. Ease of working on, no idea but nothing's easy what with jam-packed engine bays these days.

Reply to
Steve B

Mazda 6 is basically a Mondeo, so Mazda it is then.

Reply to
Pete M

Mazda everytime. The squeeking clutch pedal alone on Vauxhals would annoy me!

Jon

Jon

It's funny how people always say stuff like this. Our last two Astras (mk4) and Zafira have been great! The Vectra we have has an annoying piece of trim at the bottom of the front valance which pops off every now and again but I suspect that is due to our steep drive more than anything else.

The 306 I use as a runabout hack has been bulletproof. My uncle (who is kind of set in his ways) has had a succession of 405's and 406's and they've all been reliable.

Reply to
Abo

a drop of oil, dats wot u wanna du

Reply to
johannes

Thus spake Abo ( snipped-for-privacy@spam.thanks) unto the assembled multitudes:

My first Astra (Mk2) was pretty much faultless for 10 years and then it was stolen and written off. I've had my Mk4 for nearly 6 years and that too has been pretty much faultless. Ya wins some and ya loses some :-)

Reply to
A.Clews