Merc diesel

Bro-in-law's got a MB 208 van (2.3l non-turbo) which has started to blow out large amounts of blue smoke. The smoke clears if you keep your foot down but reappears when pulling away again.

It's puffing away like a steam engine through the oil filler cap so I assume it's the valve seals. Has anyone played with this, or a similar, engine? Are stem seals an easy job on a diesel? The engine's not the most accessable I've ever seen!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I did it on a Mk2 Cavalier Sri. Hardly the same engine, but once you get the head off, accessibility isn't a problem. Make sure you have a spring squasher to fit the valves and make sure all the bits go back into the same holes they came out of (a couple of old cereal boxes with holes in was very useful for me).

You'll get the chance to skim the head and clean the valves and seats too.

It certainly surprised me what a difference replacing a few little bits of rubber made.

___

DP

It does sound rather ringy if its puffing. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

*Nervous agreement* £1250 for a recon. lump, inclusive of everything.

It's having a compression test and a general furkling next week to find out what's broken.

It has recently developed a very noisy tappet - I was vaguely wondering if that might be something to do with a stem seal breaking up, possibly. Perhaps we should take the rocker cover off and have a look! (Would have done but it was getting dark and we're both working today).

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

I thought they all had a noisy tappet?

Reply to
Phil Howard

Did you? Just the one?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" mumbled:

Bloody Mercedes cutting corners everywhere now, innit. Time was you got a whole headful.

Reply to
Guy King

mumbled:

Eeeeeh, I remember when.....*sigh*......good old days....don't know they're born.....

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot