1994 Galant and 1998 Eclipse Spyder 2.4L Oil Consumption

Does anybody know it this is a piston ring or a vavle problem???? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Mike78

I sense this could be a flux capacitor problem. I can only guess from the limited information you gave, but this is what the spirits and Antoll Ma is giving me. Antoll hints it may be an alien/Jesus anal prob, but he's not sure.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

The most common reason is the valve stem seals. These dry / wear out and let oil into the cylinders and exhaust ports. The symptom is generally occasional oil smoke on startup. It generally starts at about 150,000 km.

Rings have a different symptom. At night with following traffic, accelerate hard in 2nd or 3rd gear (4000 rpm upwards). If you see clouds of smoke illuminated in the rear view mirror, that's worn rings. A good condition engine will make a little smoke only. If the rings are REALLY bad, idling for 10 minutes when hot will cause oil smoke out the exhaust (fuming) and lots when you start off again. The problem is mainly carbon build up in the ring grooves that stop the rings (esspec the oil rings) from doing their job.

On your 98, you might get away with getting the cylinders treated with a carbon dissolving product (I forget the name) : ask your garage.

On the 94, stopping it requires a head recon job. This will replace the stem seals and any worn exhaust guides. Since the head has to come off to do this, it's worth dropping the sump too, pulling the rods and putting in a new set of rings. I did this on the 4G63T in my Summit GTX earlier this year. Made all the difference, though I do still have to watch the oil level, just not as much.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS