The excuse I was looking for?

To get rid of the noisy old Favorit, that is.

It has developed its first fault in four years: occasionally the engine speed rises quickly to 2000-2500rpm all on its own. Rarely I feel this when driving at low revs, but it happens more often when I lift off. A quick rev or two clears it and it idles properly again.

But...when the engine's warm/hot and I switch it off it won't restart until it's cooled down a bit. This only takes 4-5 minutes or so but it's obviously annoying. No amount of turning over will persuade it to start until it's cooled down - foot off the throttle, on the floor etc. When it does restart, having cooled down a little, it needs a little throttle and starts a bit lumpy then it's back to normal.

TPS? Air temp. sensor? Throw the car away?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

If it was the crank sensor is it likely that it would still run properly but then not start after being switched off?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot