Merc W123 carburation problem (?)

Hi -

new to this group[1] - but here we go:

the other day my petrol '85 W123 200 (engine 102) suddenly failed to accellerate when I pressed the pedal. The more pressure, the more the engine stalled. When the pedal was released, it normalised low power output; idling, starting etc works as usual. Basically, it goes, but progress is painfully slow.

Any suggestions what causes this? Split carburettor membrane?

Thanks for any help,

[1]this car has been totally reliable the years I've had it, so I lack basic fault diagnosis & repair experience !
Reply to
ts

Quite possibly. I had a saab with the same problem (stromberg carb). Diaphragm should only be couple of quid from a motor factor.

Reply to
chris

Had a second glance in an old data sheet - which lists a Stromberg 175 CDT. Is the menbrane accessible without removing the Carb (i.e removing the top)?

Cheers,

Reply to
ts

I used to fix my carb problems when it involved the diaphram with a spot of rubber glue as used for cycle tube puncture repairs.

Reply to
Taz

(snip)

Thanks for this suggestion - which would be fine for emergency repairs.

But is the diaphragm accessible, from the top, withot removing the carburettor? I have no Haynes or other BoL at hand for the moment.

Thanks,

Reply to
ts

I'm not sure of the merc layout but it should be possible to remove the top without disturbing the carb, just unscrew the damper piston, then 4 screws and the top half should come away. The diagphram is then accessible (held on by small screws)

Watch out for the spring which may fly out as you remove the top bit!

Reply to
chris

stick it in the vise boy

Reply to