Micra: engine chatter

K11 Micra 1.0 90k miles. Has a timing chain. There is now a noticeable "chatter" from the engine when in top gear, at medium to high revs (60 MPH plus). Not present at high revs in other gears. Not present at startup, when idling or at low revs.

Recently had an oil change, which improved it slightly. Car drives well otherwise. Is this chatter due to the timing chain or just normal valve noise due to a 90k small engine?

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

If you're hearing it at 60mph, it's probably not the timing chain, IMHO.

(That link may wrap)

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

Does the Micra gearbox share the engine oil or is it separate? Or could the top gear bearings be worn?

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The noise is actually coming from the gear box area. Sounds like a pan full of marbles is coming to the boil...

Only apparent in 5th, in medium to high revs.

Noise goes away when I grasp the gear lever.

Is this just a loose/shaky gear lever or something in the innards of the gearbox?

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

In that case, could it be just the linkages?

(watch out for wrapping link)

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

Thanks, Ian. That looks similar to my problem.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Would it be worth trying some thick grease on all the parts first?

John

Reply to
John