Timing Chain Chatter

Since I had to pull the timing chain cover to get at a broken water pump bolt I think it's probably a good idea to replace the timing gears/chain.

It just measures outside the 1/2" of deflection (slack vs taught) and the engine has over 110,000 miles.

I've noticed a "chatter" when the truck is climbing a hill. Will replacing the timing chain help reduce/fix the chatter?

Reply to
swimdad16

It depends on what the source of the chatter is. In my experience noisy chains are most noticable at an idle.

Reply to
John S.

I usually associate that rattle under load as a timing ping or knock. You can adjust the timing slightly or use higher octane gas to stop it.

Chains don't wear out too often. They usually last until a rebuild is needed.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain