Mk2 Modeo Brake parts. Best cheap make?

Hi all, again.

My old mondy [1] has totally shagged front discs. Well, they're 11 years old. I'm not rich, so I want to get some aftermarket discs, but which brands would you lot reccomend as being good? That is to say, not likely to warp in six months, I'm not looking for racing braking.

Google gives me loads, but which to choose? :)

Thanks.

[1] P reg 2.0l manual hatchback, one of the first Mk 2's.
Reply to
Mike Barnard

11 years old ?

Jesus a few quid for a safety critical item is not much to ask,

Reply to
James

Have you asked Ford for prices on OEM discs?

I'm not a big Ford fan, but my experience of Ford ownership is that OEM parts can be stupidly cheap.

Reply to
SteveH

Ford OEM prices are hardly expensive, on something like brakes don't get anything naff.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Go to your local Ford garage, the best and cheapest parts are often from a main dealer. I found this out recently.

Reply to
Ian

Try

've bought a few discs from them.Quality appears to be equally as good as OE ones.Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Nice prices, big seemingly reputable company. Nice, thanks.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Yes, often so, but not always so I thought I'd look around. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Hence the "... would you lot reccomend as being good?" in my original post.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Yes, but that doesn't stop me looking around. I can get them done, fitted for £130. A very good price, but I can do it myself so looking to see how I can better the price.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Yawn.

If I can save... (£30?) and STILL have it safe, then I will. Hence "...the would you lot reccomend as being good?" Do you work in nanny government per chance? :)

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Well the pads will make more difference than the discs anyway :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's a good price, and one I'd happily pay not to have to crawl around on the floor dealing with rusty retaining screws and cleaning things up before putting the new disc on.

What's the cost of OEM discs, then? - last time I bought some for a Ford they were so cheap it would have cost me more in time searching for cheaper alteratives than the discs themselves cost, IYSWIM.

Reply to
SteveH

Textar, Mintex, Motorcraft, ATE, Girling, Berr, take your pick..

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Ford were sensible enough to have done away with screws as a means of retaining brake discs over a decade ago.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan (Chris Whelan ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The retaining screws came out easily when I did the disks on the 900 the other week. Long while since they'd been touched, judging by the fact they were waaaay below the minimum thickness.

The disks and pads took about 20 mins per wheel, including manouvring the trolley jack.

Reply to
Adrian

To be fair, though - you were working on a proper, pre-GM Saab, not a built down to a price Mondeo ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, that's true enough, I s'pose.

Reply to
Adrian

Use the blue spanner! Heat retaining screw until it's soft, belt the disk with a hammer and the screw head will just squash out of the way, and even better, the screw will actually be removable afterwards.

Reply to
Doki